Neve 2254 rewire

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Just thought I’d document this rewire of a stereo Neve 2254 for my own benefit if I want to build another in the future, hopefully it may even help someone else!

First I have repositioned everything.
Will need to get more M3 brass mount standoffs and then secure everything down.
I’ve made a plate for all the internal pots and will label.
Also made some txf holders.
Output and input txf I have wound and they are pretty close spec wise to originals.
Other txf for side chain and limiter are vigortronix 1:2 which actual do a good job.
I have printed out schematic and colour coded all the screened cables I will use which consists of xlr to bypass switch, bypass switch to input txf, input txf to b185, b185 to side chain txf, J+K from limit SC to limit txf, limit txf to P on B192, B183 B output to output txf, output txf to bypass switch, bypass switch to output xlr.
Pretty sure that covers all screened lead sections needed?

IMG_5831.jpeg

No it was working with a complete rats nest but Ive taken it all apart and moved it all, separated power lines to the left and all audio to right, gonna go through and use all needed screened leads and connect it all up nice and neat.

I did say in the first message about the transformers.

I’ve changed the order of the pcbs, the b185 was under the b183 but it is now under the b192 and the b191 is under the b183.
Just makes the b185 a bit closer to the txfs.
Finish power connections and screened leads today.
Tomorrow finish all other connections then test.

Just thought I’d document this rewire of a stereo Neve 2254 for my own benefit if I want to build another in the future, hopefully it may even help someone else!

First I have repositioned everything.
Will need to get more M3 brass mount standoffs and then secure everything down.
I’ve made a plate for all the internal pots and will label.
Also made some txf holders.
Output and input txf I have wound and they are pretty close spec wise to originals.
Other txf for side chain and limiter are vigortronix 1:2 which actual do a good job.
I have printed out schematic and colour coded all the screened cables I will use which consists of xlr to bypass switch, bypass switch to input txf, input txf to b185, b185 to side chain txf, J+K from limit SC to limit txf, limit txf to P on B192, B183 B output to output txf, output txf to bypass switch, bypass switch to output xlr.
Pretty sure that covers all screened lead sections needed?

View attachment 109044
WOW!
Congratulations, that is REAL DIY!
Not painting by numbers.

"Output and input txf I have wound and they are pretty close spec wise to originals.
Other txf for side chain and limiter are vigortronix 1:2 which actual do a good job."

So you wound up your own transfos... (y)
What are the transfos we see on right of the Pic, are they part of the build?
Just off the chassis in front of Lorlin switches?

Good work, keep going.
M

WOW!
Congratulations, that is REAL DIY!
Not painting by numbers.

"Output and input txf I have wound and they are pretty close spec wise to originals.
Other txf for side chain and limiter are vigortronix 1:2 which actual do a good job."

So you wound up your own transfos... (y)
What are the transfos we see on right of the Pic, are they part of the build?
Just off the chassis in front of Lorlin switches?

Good work, keep going.
M
the other transformers you can just see are the test ones for the Reddi tube pre amp, also going to wind a few more LO1166 from those lams as i have thought of a slightly different design and want to see how it looks.

IMG_6009.jpegGot all the screened leads done now, will probably move the pots to the back Near xlr and try and have toroidal and power pcb on left, might section off power with a piece of steel if there is any hum.
Hopefully finish over next few days!

well id love to say that this is finished and working perfectly but alas not!!
tested the BA283 pcb and seem to have signal through it.
Im following the rev E schematic.
The threshold switched pot im using a lorlin made up to 1k but doesnt seem to do anything yet?
meter works on IN and OUT but on GR is pinned to the right?
seem to get signal into the BA185 but very little signal out?

also having a complete brain fart here with how the attack lorlin should be attached as i made a 8 switch lorlin for mode variations and just cant remember how i had it?

Last edited:
Going to disconnect B on ba185 and then look at the wiring on ba185 as it must be an error on that card which is causing me the issue.
Also will document everything once I’m done so it’s easier to fault find in the future!! Wish I had done that the first time!!
Threshold pot I should be able to sort now but still unclear where I should connect this 8 stage lorlin for attack?

Disconnected B from ba185 and pinned meter has stopped obviously so it does point to both ba185 card being faulty.
Will change transistors and see if I can bring it back to life.
Doesn’t seem to be wired incorrectly so must be faulty transistors hopefully.
Will document all voltages and post to see if anyone sees anything that looks off!!

Changed all transistors on ba185 and still have pinned meter so going to look at changing all transistors on ba192.
Can’t seem to get signal through ba185 with ba191 and ba192 disconnected?
Real head scratcher?

Have checked all txf are orientated correctly and on ch1 I get a very small signal on output but no meter?
Nothing in ch2 yet signal wise and still has pinned meter?
Hopefully a good few hours of going through all the connections will find the problem?

Just look at ba191 board schemo... There should be a resistor between 2 bjts the last One Is going to release ... Replace that resistor with lorlin
2254 Will be One of my next build... I drawn a transformerless version into 2 boards... 1 Is signal Path the other One sidechain... But only a part of ba192 for limiter function if i don t go wrong... I ll use a different vu Meter driver
I ll attach my redrawing this evening if It helps
So you can check all boards wiring
Thanks for your attention
Best

Latest posts

Back