Neve Board Ever Used Live?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a tribute to how good the bands were when the blend is a mic pre and no other options. Folded horn cabinets setting on the stage with 2” horns and crown dc300 amps. (Or tube Macintosh) As well as the balance the engineer created.

The bands were definitely good, but the Sound Reinforcement in those gigs at those times was pretty horrendous!!
98% of the people were totally high on drugs so they had a great time anyway and didn't care they couldn't hear anything!

Point is, equipment for Live Sound in the 70s was so basic or non-existent, so far away from the developments in the studio world, that I don't believe that a Neve console was ever used for a Live gig during the 70s.

It seems Pink Floyd had a Custom mixer made by Allen & Heath,
seems to be quite advanced compared to what other people were using

" Mod1
Early 1970's
This is the custom quadraphonic mixer made for Pink Floyd.The Mod 1 was used to mix their live gigs by Alan Parsons. It can be seen in their movie “Live at Pompeii”."

10620289_830882820267602_1018215727320735464_o.jpg

https://fohengineer.co.uk/allenheath-and-pink-floyd/

Last edited:
Bob Heil adapted a Langevin mixer for live use that was used at the Mississippi River Festival, an outdoor concert venue not too far from St. Louis (and where I saw several shows as a very young child.) The mixer was in the R&R Hall of Fame when I went there several years back.

Link with photo:
MRF

I wonder what supertramp used? I remember seeing them and was amazed at the sound. The large halls were for boat shows and rodeos. It was hard for any band to sound great at the denver colosseum. 17 sec RT60 at 300Hz. Yet ZZ Top and The Who sounded great . But it’s relative to a faded memory. Led Zeppelin sounded terrible. This would be between 1970 and 1976. Frank Zappa. Played the arena in late 1970 which was the old 6000 seat basketball court echo chamber. They were quite amazing sounding. Clair brothers sound had better consoles at that time. But as you say it’s all relative to a memory.

I've yet to find photographs, but 10cc used a Formula Sound on the 1977 Live and Let Live shows. There are a handful of pictures of the Formula Sound at Strawberry South in Stockport, though. More can be found in this thread.

Always hoped @SSLtech would chime in eventually about what he remembers.

Another picture of the pink Floyd board from 1972

Attachments

• 8BA9006E-896A-4D60-A4D9-DF79278A6A8E.jpeg
    8BA9006E-896A-4D60-A4D9-DF79278A6A8E.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 34
It was Clair brothers own build design. First used in 77. And the. Well into the 80s. Was used on Springsteen and others. Ultimately Midas took over in the 90s. According to a website. The early who stuff around Tommy used 5 channel WEMs daisy chained to about 2o inputs. Later in about 70-71. They switched to two. Heil designed and made by Sunn 12 ch mixers pair giving them 24 channels. Simple but rugged.

The Who 1972. Sunn. Coliseum dual 12 channels.

I was in a band that had a 12 channel Sunn mixer like this. With the heil dual 15-18 “.bass cabs and the 2” driver large mouth 60x40 horn with 2” heil driver.

Attachments

• 1969–1970  The Who’s PA & Foldback  Whotabs.png
    1969–1970 The Who’s PA & Foldback Whotabs.png
    995.5 KB · Views: 35
Seems to have a Graphic EQ, amazing.
Looks Great

lmhfjbkv8fzjmydvgljr.jpg

I mixed Donovan in 2013 on a Neve 5432. Added a Lexicon PCM 91 for verb and ran outs through a KT graphic. Sounded nice! Didn't feel like dragging my 24 channel Midas along for a 2 channel mix 😀

Back