New 22mm (km184/kk105 style) Capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However i am not sure if the issue was in the lack of air volume, or if the edges were creating internal reflections.
Thanks, I see what you mean.

But I couldn't help but notice that new slots have quite jarred edges. Wouldn't it introduce micro-reflections/diffractions?
I guess the speed of the air is too low to consider effects of turbulent flow (diminishing effective opening).
I'm not savvy enough to know at which point "bad" edge starts to matter acoustically.

Is there anything tricky about disassembling and reassembling these before/after modding the slots?

Yes, unfortunately. Trickiest part is to make sure the tightening ring is not over tightened (this wrinkles the diaphragm), and there are no debris between the diaphragm and the backplate. This is tricky as the diaphragm can't be seen properly under the front grille/plate. I have done reassembly several times without the grille/plate in order to make sure everything looks nice. I eventually assembled everything once I was certain no dust was trapped under. Measurements also confirm all is good. This is particularly challenging with stock spacer because it is so slim. Also important to remember how the holes between the metal and plastic transparent backplate are NOT ALIGNED!

In theory the slots can be drilled through or filed without disassembly, but you have to make sure no debris is left behind.

Latest posts

Back