New Low Cost High Quality Monitor Controller Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
nielsk said:
The only way to get this to actually work is to interface it with the recorder so the light turns on automatically when you press Record ;) an electronic door lock may be more effective ;D
Then instead of having someone creeping in the session, you'll have them banging on the door!  :D
Quick, dirty, and utilitarian: electrified doorknob! If there's one thing I know Niels has laying around, it's transformers... All you'd need is that, a couple relays, and a bandpass filter on delay tuned to 'body/floor thud.'  ;D

nielsk said:
With the idea of making aspects modular so one can build to suit, I contacted the EXPAT guys to see if they could program their switch board to interlocking, and they have obliged. Their current version supports 3 lighted switches, this would accommodate 3 input sources and 3 speaker selects. They are working on a 4 switch version. Use of their modular relay board could allow as many or as few of each as desired. They are going to send some samples to me for testing

I got code that supports multiple interlocking boards working this weekend, with only a small hack required (two extra wires, a pair of penny transistors and 2 resistors)

I'll post a video here soon.

/R

I know this is really basic but a mute L/R /global and a big pad is usefull. Helps if you get a phone call while editing and you still want a track to run its course (reamping or running a pass through a compressor). YOu can take the phone call and hit the pad button - but still monitor at very low level - call ends - levels back up again....
Mac

If you make a 5.1 version then I'm sold! Also, you could add Line Outputs.

Hi All
it's very good project, what did you think about a multiple outputs possibility. Three output in this box can usefull to control the eq of the mix.
ex: switch between the little mixcube, genelec and KRK

Maybe another feature like mono mode for the output

Best,
Cyril

Not to make it even more complex, but if you were to have multiple outputs, then having an a/b/c/sub output would be so nice - with the capability of an HPF on the a/b/c, and a LPF for sub out - with the capability of turning on/off the sub out and HPF simultaneously.

grw said:
Not to make it even more complex, but if you were to have multiple outputs, then having an a/b/c/sub output would be so nice - with the capability of an HPF on the a/b/c, and a LPF for sub out - with the capability of turning on/off the sub out and HPF simultaneously.

That Would Be Great

I have a working prototype I have been using, there just does not seem to be much interest as far as developing something to offer up.
I have to say that the level control is the smoothest, most closely tracking I have ever experienced, and I am pretty sure I have used just about everything. No clicks, pops, jumps, artifacts at all.
The issue with the relay based stuff available is the high cost, and the interaction between source and destination impedance...

nielsk said:
I have a working prototype I have been using, there just does not seem to be much interest as far as developing something to offer up.
I have to say that the level control is the smoothest, most closely tracking I have ever experienced, and I am pretty sure I have used just about everything. No clicks, pops, jumps, artifacts at all.
The issue with the relay based stuff available is the high cost, and the interaction between source and destination impedance...

Woa! Congrats! It will be very interesting to compare side by side. To satisfy the curiosity....
I can be your beta tester!
Seriously. I have  good measurement set-up and can hear both systems in 2 different mastering rooms which already have my relay based controllers.
;)
What did you used for level control element?

Latest posts

Back