New Low Cost High Quality Monitor Controller Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be in for one of these if you choose to go ahead Nielsk. I agree with others that there are some nice options out there but price can be a concern. Did you end up including mono/dim etc switching in your protoype?
Ben

My proto is just 2 channel balanced in & out level control, and a headphone amp. I'll get to posting a pic soon but be warned, it looks like a rat's nest (works great, though).
I used the Gyraf headphone amp, not very thrilled. Low power & easily distorts... any suggestions of a better contender?
I have designed it with up to 6 sets of inputs (including -10 unbalanced), dim, cut stereo & individual, mono & talkback / cue outs. 2 sets of speaker feeds, with a switch port for an outboard alt (ala SSL) Remote option for desktop control.
As there seems to be a bit of interest now, I am putting it back on the burner, but if you are raring to go, get Igor's switcher http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=42829.0 and build the control element on breadboard, easy to do...

I builded one of this as some others here for a headphone amp, sounds good to my ears. Needs good Heat dissipation...

http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23&start=20

I would think that for most people in most monitoring situations this feature set is right on the money, although some will want sub outs and perhaps right polarity flip in a monitor controller, these things could be added later without too much hassle if one so wished, no? The -10 unbal input is invaluable in my opinion, allowing quick and easy connection with laptop s'cards, ipoods, etc. Oddly overlooked in some respected designs. Nice one Nielsk.

Bump for cheer up 8) I've been gathering ideas for a monitor controller lately and already soldering some building blocks. I'll post my stuff when finished unless nielsk beats me to it.

neilsk,

Has there been any progress on this? I'd love to help if there is still interest.

I bump it once again  8)

Seems to be a nice project, and really when you consider commercial offer for a simple quality monitor controller, a DIY version would be more than welcome.

Personally, If Igor's passive kit disdn't use a obsolete component I would go for it but as you all know it should be "future" proof in terms of maintenance, blah, blah,blah......

Hope to see something come out of this thread, why ?, because I'm not smart enough to do it on my own.  :'(

Looking forward to see how this project goes.
My main needs are 2 x input, 2 x output, meter, gain-pot(s), mono, 2 x headamp

I configured myself a simple monitor controller using parts by funk-tonstudiotechnik.
in out modules and headphone amp are funk modules. they are not cheap but very
good

nicholas

Latest posts

Back