New Neve output transformer clone from Altran

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idylldon

Even though I mentioned this in another thread, I thought since many of you are DIY Neve boards these may be of interest:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=40860

From "rock777's" post on the thread:

These have the Neve sound. Call and get some so they don't stop making them. The transformers that they reverse engineered are the Marinair which are the original Neve transformers. Wade at Chandler is the one who helped them design them. All the way down to the copper windings and the type of Steel that the laminations are made of . It took a few times but they have nailed it. They have the mojo. If they are good enough for Wade they are good enough for me.

I haven't had any experience with them myself, but I thought I'd pass along the info.

Steve at Altran quoted me the following prices (they have a minimum order of 25):

25 $22.46
50 $19.81
100 $18.95
250 $16.49

Cheers,
--
Don

Wow, that's really interesting...
Hey purusha, we can get them togheter and spare some mo' on the shipment costs...

[quote author="byoung"]interesting, would these transformers work for the DIY81 boards?[/quote]

Any know about this? I'd call today if they do.

i have one here. i would say it is a decent transformer (the price is certainly right), but it is not an exact copy of a LO-1166. altran are making them 1000 at a time, for chandler and others, so economies of scale help reduce the price.

the DIY81 board doesn't need a gapped transformer. also the ratio is different; the LO2567 is strapped for a higher ratio in the 1081 circuit than the LO1166 in the 1272 circuit. the altran C-4000 is more suited to a 1272 style circuit.

ed

Yes, you can use the LO1166 and clones in a ten81 / 340/440 amp type circuit. Ed is right about the ratios, but if it's a true copy of the 1166 then it can be wired correctly, like an original 2567. Both models are the same transformer except the 1166 was gapped. [Edit: CJ may have detected minor differences or variations between the two models, so I better clarify: they are very nearly exactly the same transformer except the gap and other possible minor changes!] The gap in the 1166 creates maybe some subtle differences from the ungapped 2567 in the ten81 type circuit. CJ, Tekay and others could address that better... so it may not be optimal -- but the short answer is yes it would work and you'd probably never notice any difference, provided it's a true copy of either the 2567 or 1166...

Tekay did a test once, running the ten81 type with a LO1166 and it worked, and there were maybe some very subtle performance difference. Search and it may still be here, or TK can comment!

Generally, the 1166 are more valuable because they are in higher demand, so most people wouldn't "waste" one on a ten81 type circuit when cheaper options are available and they'd put the 1166 with its intended circuit...

I believe API outputs would also work in the ten81 type circuit. I'd have to look, but that was my impression a while ago. In any case, I've been meaning to ask Cinemag to look into some custom outputs for the ten81 type circuit and I'm sure they could do it. If we made a group buy it could be quite reasonably priced.

[quote author="Purusha"]Hey Neeno... do you pay any customs when you get things from USA? I don't want to pay them twice. :?[/quote]

Usually i don't pay any customs tax when i get stuff from the USA...

[quote author="edanderson"]
...it is not an exact copy of a LO-1166...
[/quote]

[quote author="tommypiper"][quote author="idylldon"]Here's the spec sheet they sent to me:
http://home.mindspring.com/~idyll/C-4000.pdf
Cheers,
--
Don[/quote]

That's not a true copy of the 1166.

It might still sound fine.

But it could not be wired for a ten8q type, and would really only be used on a 1272 type circuit, as Ed mentioned.[/quote]

if people want an inexpensive 2567 substitute for the ten81 project, i'm certain that altran could make a non-gapped version. steve told me that they have made the other ratios (which you would need for a 1081 style circuit).

no one should expect altran's version to be an exact copy of the marinair, however.

ed

Latest posts

Back