New SSL Analog Console …… built from "ground" ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
…..expensives for maintenance

Yes Less is more.  I have a 24ch api and love the simplicity of the channels.  Beats replacing caps in a 48 ch ssl for the 4th time with traces lifted and extra repair.  The switch cleaning and pots spray is also doable with less features/ pots.  But I haven’t done a mix from tape in awhile so it’s a simpler interfacing to a daw and lots of work arounds with a daw like plug in verbs.  The mix capability of a 4K working, is an awesome thing.

Yes, SSL consoles before the 9000 had caps in the singal path. At least some of the 4000 series consoles had DC biasing added for some of the (polarized) electrolytics in the signal path.

I think it's true that the op amps no longer exist that were used in the old consoles. Signetics/Phillips doesn't make them any more, and the TI5532/5534 don't measure nor sound the same. I went to some lengths to aquire a lot of those old op amps because they are sonically superior in every circuit I've compared them to my ears.

And AC coupling is fine IMO, as long as you use good caps (I use the green bipolar Nichicon Muse caps in signal paths with no/little DC). Lot's of people prefer the sound of the AC coupled 4000 series to the servo coupled 9000 series.

I agree there isn't much point in an SSL without automation and dynamics...

I’m extremely happy with the sound on my board.

Talk of how much you love your desk has served to inspire much of my build.  Thanks Fazey!

Down the road I'd love to try to A/B some prearranged, post-processed stems to a 2-mix to compare your classic desk to this hackneyed clone I've been working on since forever...  :D

Tricky but we can try.  I think the mic in require the same player in two different states.  But that said,  I built some capi pres and eq’s.  I record thru those with Gary’s 2520’s and Ed’s transformers compared to Huntington 2520’s.    This was before replacing the caps In my api.   
Couple of things.  The capi pres had a very solid refined sound .    Mine had a more forward midrange.    It would be nice to see what’s different with Huntington amps to see what’s different.  Also I usually prefer going through the full path not just pream out.  The modules add weight to the sound.  I use to love using just pres with tape on aco guitar but in a daw I like the full channel with fader.  Sorry for rambling

That guy in the YT vid would actually turn me off buying that console. Way too much misinformation.....

And, for me, a large part of the SSL sound was the integrated dynamics.

Nice idea, not well implemented.

I think it will do well,  it fits a market need.  Dynamics and  automation would add a good bit to the cost.

Personally I would like an SSL 4k style console,  with EQ,  HP and LP,  dynamics,  and automation,  but no pres.

pucho812 said:
according to SSL the reason it is 50K is because it does not have automation and that automation would drive up the price tag considerably
Not being more than $50k is now a feature...go figure.

"Wait, thats not all, hurry and buy it now and we'll throw in this handy 'Not charge you for stuff we did not include discount'!, operators are standing by!"

SSL marketing is not up to mixer specs.

[silent:arts] said:
If you want automation, and dynamics, buy a Duality.

Especially if used but mint condition , better price , same features ……  ;D

Unless you have placed a hit song on the u.s.a. top 10 sale chart ….,
and considered the related arrival profit ,  taxes amount included  ,
buy a brand new console , outboard , mics , etc… , "help" to reduce the amount taxes to pay  of ,
as many /all  "big" producers/artist do…. ,

almost certainly the reason why SSL , Neve , & co. ,  stay alive ,
apart the most important  broadcasting big networks ,
and big screen movies majors companies post production market ….

As any studio own a D.A.W.
an alternative option is get an used live analog console , if in very great shape ,
like Midas XL series  , Soundcraft series Five or Four ,  or similar (better without vcas on signal path) ,
available today  for very much less value than new (much thanks to digital live consoles  ;D  ) ,
many of them have ch mute midi automation ,
mic preamps are not bad for recording ,
and the onboard parametric eqs can do a good job ,

with the price difference between the Origin and them , it is possible buy cool outboard setup ,
super nice Diy  tooooo  ;D 

and - or a third part moving fader automation setup  ,

cheers

Ps:
Soundcraft DC2020 moving faders automation was not so bad…
onboard computer and lcd screen apart troubles ... ,  replaceable with external computer…,
  ::)  hmmmm impossible reverse engineering  with an  O.S. emulator on a today computer ? ...
somebody know why they do not offer it as custom setup ?
...Harman Obscure Mysteries ? ….

So duality is like a 9k.  Servo no caps. 

After replacing caps 4 times in a Amek Mozart (not mine), I would not want to own a 4K 6k ssl or big Neve.  The heat is amazing and the power usage is out of hand.  It would take a lot of solar panels to support that big whale.  Talk about climate change.  And then you need HVAC to counter the heat in the room.  The day of those consoles are gone forever.

fazer said:
So duality is like a 9k.  Servo no caps. 

After replacing caps 4 times in a Amek Mozart (not mine), I would not want to own a 4K 6k ssl or big Neve.  The heat is amazing and the power usage is out of hand.  It would take a lot of solar panels to support that big whale.  Talk about climate change.  And then you need HVAC to counter the heat in the room.  The day of those consoles are gone forever.

I serviced a fleet of Neve v series over the years.  Most recently at a facility that had 2 in use and a third for spare parts in storage. We would recap a channel a day and by the time you finished, you started all over. caps in those desks lasted 3 years and you could tell when there was a problem as stuff would slowly start to behave funny.  The SSL's are better with caps so not as big of an expense.
The duality is a whole other issue of SMT parts but like anything else, with the right tools, is easy to work on. The Big problem is they do not hand out schematics for that desk. :eek:

[silent:arts] said:
If you want automation, and dynamics, and inline path - then SSL must unfortunately do without you as a customer  ;D

……..  something like :  when the "offer" meet "demand"…    ;D

cheers

Back