Nickel Plating Headgrille

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the link because people can have bad reactions to nickel from just touching it.
I you DIY plate and are sensitive maybe it could be worse.

In the 70's when safety was not as good I had a tour of a plating shop you could taste the air, plating stuff is nasty

I posted the link because people can have bad reactions to nickel from just touching it.
I you DIY plate and are sensitive maybe it could be worse.

In the 70's when safety was not as good I had a tour of a plating shop you could taste the air, plating stuff is nasty
Yeah you’re right there. In a job I was doing full time involving luxury Supercars we used to get a lot of chrome plating done and those plating shops were toxic. Same as getting the old mag wheels refurbished - they actually banned the primer they used to use - I think it was zinc bromide - nasty stuff if breathed and so dangerous in spray shops. I use an extractor box outdoors with fume filters just to be safe.
Edit: nickel being so commonly used on bolts and screws and present in so many objects of day to day life I would imagine most people with a nickel allergy would know about it early in their lives.

I occasionally do my own anodizing. It is best carried out outdoors, in cold weather, it gives off incredibly nasty fumes. But it's fun, almost free and if you're thorough, good results!
I'm definitely trying the nickel plating next;-)

With only hydrogen being given off it’s pretty safe. I’m not so sure how safe the slow evaporation of the nickel sulfate or acetate in solution is - they are both carcinogens.

Back