• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

NOT FS: Some UTC A-19's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Quality' is the wrong fox to be chasing, sonic signature is, and that's much more obvious than a file reduction comparison.  The new part doesn't sound like the old part.  It may sound better, it may sound worse, but not the same. 

true that!
excuse me for a unpricise use of a word.
english is my 3rd language... and foreign languages are just my hobby ;)
you're absolutely right about the sonic signature.
just was a little curious if anyone could really hear this signature clearly in a busy mix :) 
just curious, that's all 8)

best,

mro said:
true that!
excuse me for a unpricise use of a word.
english is my 3rd language... and foreign languages are just my hobby ;)
you're absolutely right about the sonic signature.
just was a little curious if anyone could really hear this signature clearly in a busy mix :) 
just curious, that's all 8)

best,
I liked your little test. I failed miserably. Thanks for that.

:p

Just kidding! It's amazing what blind testing will do.

we are getting quite close to something like this

https://nextshark.com/gwyneth-paltrow-dildo-golden-lelo/

"you can't put price on pleasure"

beatnik said:
we are getting quite close to something like this

https://nextshark.com/gwyneth-paltrow-dildo-golden-lelo/

"you can't put price on pleasure"
Maybe I should gold-plate these before sending them out...you know...for higher sonic resonance.

Hi buddy-after dougs informative posts it confirms I can use the NIB A-18's I got off eBay for a miraculous $100 ea a while ago-so your A-19s can go to the next inline. Good on you for sharing champ-yeah I too have paid a small fortune buying up vintage iron for projects....cheers.

moltenwok said:
Hi buddy-after dougs informative posts it confirms I can use the NIB A-18's I got off eBay for a miraculous $100 ea a while ago-so your A-19s can go to the next inline. Good on you for sharing champ-yeah I too have paid a small fortune buying up vintage iron for projects....cheers.
No problem glad you got a great deal! Taking you off the list...

There's been a strange twist of events. See first post for details. Will post a couple pix.

Here showing the amazing packing job this person did. Wow. Those are well-protected aren't they?

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
The bizarre coins shipped in a UTC box. Some were silver dimes from 1954-1964; a buffalo nickel. Not sure if he was trying to make up for the fact that he only sent 4 instead of 5?

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
I bet they were too lazy to even open the box to see it didn't hold a transformer. 

emrr said:
I bet they were too lazy to even open the box to see it didn't hold a transformer.
Yeah - or even to read the box itself - it wasn't even for a UTC A19!

I could be a snake and keep the silver coins...but I wouldn't feel right about it. I'll return the whole thing as is. I priced the silver dimes - there's a roll of about 50 - they go for around $70 on eBay.

if we are talking about the same ebay listing it's strange because in the picture there were indeed five transformers and two a-19 boxes. i would guess they have put in a different box by mistake, although i would imagine the silver coins are quite much lighter than an utc a-series, and the different weight should have caught the guys attention when packing up the items. i doubt the intention was to scam you since on ebay it's sellers who are more vulnerable ... in any event as a buyer you are definitely in safe hands, now wether ebay has an acceptable / legal business model or not, let's not start with that ... 

beatnik said:
if we are talking about the same ebay listing it's strange because in the picture there were indeed five transformers and two a-19 boxes. i would guess they have put in a different box by mistake, although i would imagine the silver coins are quite much lighter than an utc a-series, and the different weight should have caught the guys attention when packing up the items. i doubt the intention was to scam you since on ebay it's sellers who are more vulnerable ... in any event as a buyer you are definitely in safe hands, now wether ebay has an acceptable / legal business model or not, let's not start with that ...
Im not suggesting seller tried to scam me - looks like an honest mistake. Yes there were 5 transformers pictured, but only 4 made it to me. That’s an obvious issue rectified by sending the other transformer.

More worrying is the packing. This box is 5-7 lbs - maybe more. It’s HEAVY!!! No padding. While the UTC’s are rugged, I don’t feel good about keeping them knowing they easily were dropped and thrown around. One transformer has its heavy terminal bent over.

While they may test good - and might even be good - for this amount of money I shouldn’t be taking such a risk there’s been internal damage that maybe only shows up over time or when windings get hot.

You just don’t ship heavy electronics items with no padding.

I feel I’m within my rights to be wary and to request remedy.  I’m not being a difficult customer nor improperly taking advantage of ebays buyer bias.

Would you feel good about keeping these given the situation? It’s not speculation here - it’s my money. Things always look and feel different when it’s your money on the line. I shouldn’t be the one taking the risk here due to seller’s negligence.

Yeah - but how do I know if they sustained some damage anyway? Three of the pins on one transformer were just bent over. They obviously saw some violence.

Down the road, Wwindings get hot, then a problem appears? They were essentially metal against the inside of the box. Maybe they test good now, maybe they are not good.

Yeah, they are rugged. And you are probably right. But for the amount of money I spent, I should not be taking a risk. We'll see what happens.

Also, “poor seller” can test them and turn around and resell - if there is nothing wrong he loses nothing.

Seller is playing hardball. Refuses to acknowledge any wrongdoing in shipping without padding, and is begging for his coins back. Like I give a rip about his stupid coins.

Looks like I'll have to go through eBay. Damnit.

Mike

EDIT: Now he is calling me dishonorable and says I know nothing about electronics or UTC transformers. Well, he might be right about the last two epithets ;) But had he shipped them safely I would have no trouble keeping them, even if I had to sell at a loss for some reason.

Latest posts

Back