Now it comes out

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcarso

The daily Stockholm newspaper Dagens Nyheter's Oct 14 2008 edition concluded that Stan Getz was to blame for the financial crisis now plaguing the world. The reason: An article in the New York Times called "Taking a hard new look at a Greenspan legacy."

Search the title at http://www.nytimes.com

The Swedish paper concluded that things might have been different had Greenspan pursued a musical career.

“Turning to music and baseball…

ALAN GREENSPAN: Then, I decided that baseball was my thing. And I was actually getting very good, but at the age of 14, I hit a plateau and I never improved.

JIM LEHRER: You were a left-hander, first baseman, right?

ALAN GREENSPAN: I was a left-handed first baseman. I hit the ball pretty well. Then, I got into music, and I became a professional musician for a couple of years.

JIM LEHRER: Played the clarinet...

ALAN GREENSPAN: Clarinet, saxophone, flute, bass clarinet.

JIM LEHRER: Which one did you enjoy the most?

ALAN GREENSPAN: I actually enjoyed the clarinet the best, but I was a fairly good amateur, but a moderate professional. But what really did me in is I had, as an amateur, had to play next to Stan Getz. I was 16; he was 15. I decided, "Do I really want to be in this business?"

JIM LEHRER: Why, because he was so good?

ALAN GREENSPAN: Oh, my god.

JIM LEHRER: Was he really good?

ALAN GREENSPAN: And he was one of the really historic famous sax players. And the best economic decision I ever made in my life was to decide to leave the music business and go into economics.”

I saw a special a month or so ago about McCain which aired on CNN. There was the talk of The Keating Five (Savings and Loan scandal in the '80's). I guess Greenspan was hired as a consultant and did work for Charles Keating. He was nearly first hand involved in that. If he is the "economic genius" that everyone claims, he for sure saw this crap coming and probably brought most of it on.

[quote author="Shiny Knight"] And the best economic decision I ever made in my life was to decide to leave the music business and go into economics.”[/quote]

At least, that decision turned out great for Mr. G...

Anyway, and slightly related: in this so-called-country I unfortunately
reside in (Serbia), there is suspiciously high percentage of failed/former
musicians among politicians and high-ranking economists. As
guitar player in my band jokes: "If band fails, we can allways choose
careers of thievs and killers".

And, would you belive, Bernanke is a sax player.
BennyB & Mr.G, a dynamic duo.

cheerz
ypow

Latest posts

Back