Leaving Home

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhanfri

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I think I will get wise advices around here.

Ok, don't need to talk about all the economical sh*t happening around here in Europe, especially in southern countries, like mine, Spain.

Well I'm not really bad, but I'm just surviving, and It's not enough for me. But here I have few chances to develope my professional skills and personal needs.

So I'm almost decided to go away, almost for sure out of Europe. I've got family in Germany, and some of them working in events production, so it could be a good starting point, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. ¿Could the same shit happen in the rest of Europe in the next 5 years?

I'd really like to go to the USA, but considering Asia and South America (Spanish professionals are well considered there).

So, how is the situation in North America? I work as a sound technician both in music live shows and corporative events, also I know a bit about video & projection, computer networks... you know, some kind of "all-around" in the live situations. But could work in almost everything...

Visas looks hard to get from here, is the illegal option worth? Or should I start looking seriously at other countries?

Germany looks fine, for all the mentioned above, but maybe too many people went there in the last times.

Any ideas, thoughts about this? opinion from Americans or Germans would be appreciated, actually every opinion will be useful.

Thanks In advance

> ¿Could the same sh*t happen in the rest of Europe in the next 5 years?

Yes, of course.

The USA is fairly bleak. Many folks "just surviving", others doing worse. The numbers have been twisted to look not-so-bad, but a lot of decent jobs have vanished and "employed" may be 30 hours/week at a supermarket. And don't come in illegally unless you have STRONG support (some organization to supply false documents, safe-house, instant job.... ). You might not be noticed, or you might get indefinite detention.

It would be presumptuous of me to give you advice about work opportunities in Europe. But that never stopped me before  ;D

Looking at macro economics, Germany is stronger than Spain, even within Spain, the norther section is stronger than the rest of the country (aren't they talking about separating?), but you are not looking to open a coffee shop, you are looking for a job... Perhaps think outside the box... The real estate crunch in Spain, while putting a hurt on banks and real estate investors, there may be an opportunity, dealing with the mess... Think of some service you could provide to the distressed property owners (banks?).

I do not advocate illegal immigration, while you would probably not be the only one doing that in Germany. I doubt that would result in a great long term job, but any job is better than no job...

Go to France, they just raised the minimum wage,,, you still won't have a job but you "would" have earned more money if you did. Sorry I don't mean to make light of your circumstance, we are still recovering from the credit bubble a few years ago. The music always stops.

Be creative and look for a way to make lemonade from the lemons you are dealt. Maybe start an employment agency, to help other people find jobs. At least you will have lots of customers. Another questionable enterprise is start a barter bank... There is probably already significant barter activity to avoid taxes..

or not...

Good luck. 

JR

US Visas are hard to get.

I'm on an L1B visa thats being processed to a green card. I've been here 6 years, and I'm still waiting.

For those years, I'm tied to my employer. (they sponsored my visa).

Worst case,I'll process with my American wife... but I'm always left thinking that i'm just around the corner through this path.

Think outside Europe and the US. If I was young, not married,and flexible, I'd look at China/Shanghai. Brazil is also growing.

/R

Thanks for the input and ideas

Illegal inmigration doesn't look the better way, and getting a job from here looks so hard.

Actually going to France, Germany or another EU country wouldn't be illegal.

The North of Spain (Vasque Country) is rich, but also so closed for Vasques, and Catalonia is talking about separation just to keep the media atention far of the real problems, like massive corruption in public institutions...

Actually, the idea about going out is half economycal half social. This is a crazy country, governed by thieves. And as I said I have job as freelance and not so bad payment, but I can't see any future here.

A barter bank looks like a nice option, but I'm afraid it won't work here for mainly two reasons, the almost impossible taxes and invest required to start any kind of business, and the thinking way of people.

I always try to make lemonade, but lately the taxes for lemonade makers are killing me...

I think it's time to think in Asia or South America...

Thanks again

Well I think It's worth to keep informed everybody who took the time answering here and worrying about my situation.

Things looks better now, I have a 3-year contract with a local Hotel & Convention center as technician, it let's me free time and it's good paid. Also I'm starting with the production of some little shows (I'll start with the "Gin-Tonic Days", funny). And at last, but not least, DIY is giving me some money (I'm not sure about the ethical implications on this, but If I don't do it, somebody else is going to do it, and I need the cash for start new projects)

You can be calm, USA, I won't go there trying to work illegally  ;)

Thanks to everyone for your answers and advices.

Good to hear that you have three years work offered.

I moved to Germany 18 months ago, partly work related but that was my partner, she works in
architecture and the "building trade" in the UK was on it's knees and still is !

There are good jobs here, she recently joined one of the biggest architects in the country, running since
the early 1960's so "fairly" safe - can't get anything more than a 1 year contract though .... you were lucky !!

I have work with a German artist and also with BMG music publishing, so being here or UK made no difference
though I must say that I am enjoying Berlin very much :)

I guess we all just have to get used to the fact that there is no "job for life" anymore, unless you are a very skilled
surgeon or a lawyer !!

Regards,
Marty.

8 o 9 years ago a lot of classmates went to spain for studies or work they are all here again. south america is still growing and there some decent countries with decent goverments.

dirtyhanfri said:
The North of Spain (Vasque Country) is rich, but also so closed for Vasques, and Catalonia is talking about separation just to keep the media atention far of the real problems, like massive corruption in public institutions...

i can only say you're absolutely right man, and i know it 'cause i live in Barcelona ;)

How can people don't realise that Independence Fever is just an illusion??

Catalonian government pays thousands to foreign (US, UK, Asia...) eminences for conferences with translation services but they refuse contracting Spanish eminences because they don't speak Catalan

Many companies (some of them mults from drinks, food, books, etc...) has announced their "exile" from Barcelona if Catalonia achieves independence.

I hope this fever will vanish in a few years (yes, i said years), if separation is achieved my born place will become another Monaco, Andorra, Cayman Islands, etc.... sad, so sad to see a lie repeated thousands on media is assumed for people as the only truth.

Congrats for your job and DIY (i'm also finishing and studying projects!
Felicidades por tu trabajo!!!

> my born place will become another Monaco, Andorra, Cayman Islands, etc.... sad, so sad

Why sad?

* Andorra is a prosperous country -- GDP Per capita $53,383
* Monaco world-famous as a tourist, and recreation centre .. a major banking center ... known for being a tax haven -- GDP Per capita $132,571
* Cayman Islands are ... a major world offshore financial centre. -- GDP Per capita $47,000

I would not be too-too sad about another 20%-250% more money around me.
(* Maine -- GSP per capita $39,000)
(* Missouri (my born place) $37,500)

We in the Real Maine keep talking about breaking-off from the Portland end (which is really Greater Boston) and forming our own state. (And then breaking again: the coast, woods, and potato districts are very different cultures.)

I'm from Argentina... Really nice life style here... not so good for a diy person to get things from the rest of the world but I get some stuff, not impossible...

I don't know your profession but engineers of all kind are few, gouverment doesn't know how to put people to study this kind of career...

JS

PRR said:
> my born place will become another Monaco, Andorra, Cayman Islands, etc.... sad, so sad

Why sad?

* Monaco world-famous as a tourist, and recreation centre .. a major banking center ... known for being a tax haven -- GDP Per capita $132,571
* Cayman Islands are ... a major world offshore financial centre. -- GDP Per capita $47,000

Happy to see people have different POV as mine :)

Maybe it's my romantic idea, dreaming of a world not so capitalist, where money is not the sun that make us go around it  ;)

Years ago government changed education law in Spain, the result? lower and lower qualification for lower and lower jobs, young people just wanted to leave school at 16 to work ASAP and earn some money to have a big car and a 40 years mortgage. When crisis began in 2008 all this young and not so young people lost their job, car, house and started asking themselves why not kept in school to have some degree.

Ooops, a little bit offtopic, sorry  :p

hazel said:
PRR said:

Why sad?

Happy to see people have different POV as mine :)

Maybe it's my romantic idea, dreaming of a world not so capitalist, where money is not the sun that make us go around it  ;)
Perhaps in some science fiction future where we have free energy (like atomic power promised), free food and free shelter, we will not longer have a need for money.

Until then the different economic systems do a better or worse job of managing scarce resources, and facilitating the creation of wealth. 
Years ago government changed education law in Spain, the result? lower and lower qualification for lower and lower jobs, young people just wanted to leave school at 16 to work ASAP and earn some money to have a big car and a 40 years mortgage. When crisis began in 2008 all this young and not so young people lost their job, car, house and started asking themselves why not kept in school to have some degree.

Ooops, a little bit offtopic, sorry  :p
Nah... call it like you see it.. I do not like the economic distortions of the world's tax shelters. Their success is directly a result of escaping other nation's taxation. Tax avoidance would be less attractive if we felt our tax payments were worthwhile and well managed.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Tax avoidance would be less attractive if we felt our tax payments were worthwhile and well managed.

JR

And not 50% of our money... At least here. (depending on impositive category could be much less but still 25% in best case I think)

JS

joaquins said:
JohnRoberts said:
Tax avoidance would be less attractive if we felt our tax payments were worthwhile and well managed.

JR

And not 50% of our money... At least here. (depending on impositive category could be much less but still 25% in best case I think)

JS

Yes too high tax rates kill the golden goose.  Economists have even predicted a percentage of GDP beyond which raising taxes will shrink the GDP causing a collapse in tax revenue.

Another problem with tax rates perceived as too high by tax payers is that it encourages legal and illegal tax avoidance. In some parts of the world the underground economy to avoid taxes is not very underground, and as tax revenues decline, they raise the rate even further causing even more people to avoid paying this even higher rate.

While governments will argue that they can fix anything and are doing what is right, the macro economy will always reveal the "real" truth over time.  I won't throw any new criticisms at Euro governments but they are currently in the longest recession since WWII.

We have structural economic problems too that need to be addressed, but the news cycle right now is consumed by a smorgasbord of raw (political) meat to chew on.

JR

PS: In a new acknowledgment of reality, Chavez's hand picked replacement in Venezuela has actually met with leaders within the private sector food industry and agreed to raise prices of some staple food to cover the actual costs to provide those foods. A good step in the right direction and unexpected (by me). 

"Should 5% appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all"

(It was the Beatles contention that an incremental tax rate of 95% was too high.  Expressed as ironic sarcasm I guess.  But enjoyable to listen too.)

Economists have even predicted a percentage of GDP beyond which raising taxes will shrink the GDP causing a collapse in tax revenue.

Only the spreadsheet the academics used had an error in it so they got the point wrong.  It was only discovered when an undergraduate used their numbers for his own dissertation.

This wouldn't be such a big deal had the Chancellor of The Exchequer (a man wholly unqualified for the position) in the UK not used the incorrect point to set economic policy.

Back