NY AES Halloween meet-up?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodderboy

GDIY Supporter
It's that time of decade again folks!  I'm excited to go because I missed it 2 years ago.
I'm representing at the Redco and Source Elements booths and good for a GDIY meet-up.
Mike

I'm going to try to go.. Mike, how do you know the guys at Redco? I think I may have met you some years ago. I've done a LOT of electrical work for them at their place in Stratford. Dave played piano at my wedding back in the '80s when I worked at Audiotechniques.

I go way back with AT when it was "Dave and Dave" in the Brill Building.  They were the alternative to Martin Audio and a shorter walk from Times Square!  They've always been my main supplier and have been my distributor for 2Q since I went commercial.
Saturday night is the usual hook night.  Bohemian Beer Garder in Astoria with Pucho and NY Dave was a gas, but it was ages ago!  Mushy and I represented four years ago at a place where the staff of Skyline circa 1989 were ready to rack some reels and start a fortnight lockout.  Great stuff!

Mike

Unfortunately, Saturday is Halloween and I'll have to be home with the kids that night. 

Anyone up for Friday night?

I'm traveling to NY and will be there at AES. Really excited, never been there.
I sure would like to meet some people :)

I'm here all weekend, sitting on the floor of the Javitts now waiting for pallets.  I'm tied up almost all of the evenings with various events but if anyone wants to say hi please come by the PMC 9.1 demo room - room 1A18 downstairs.

I'll be overseeing all of the presentations here using some very large speakers  :)  Highlights include Morten Lindberg (jaw dropping sound - literally), Kraftwerk and mastering engineer Vlado Meller.

The schedule in case anyone is interested...

Friday 30th October

Student Critique Sessions @ 9am
Students getting their mixes evaluated by the pro’s

PMC Demo @ 10am
Drop into our room to hear the new QB1-XBD-A

Morten Lindberg @ 11am
Into the RAW; Morten will mix ‘raw’ tracks live into a 12.1 Auro 3D mix

Spatial Audio Demo/Uli Scuda Frauenhofer @ 12:30pm
The new standard for universal spatial / 3D audio coding

Bassy Bob Brockman @ 1:45pm
‘Bassy’ will be mixing a ‘live’ track with audience participation

Jonathan Wyner @ 3:15pm
Mastering session demo (3 study cases)

Sono Luminus/Morten Lindberg, Dan Shores & Peter Gregson @ 6pm
The Immersive Audio listening experience

Saturday 31 st October

Ronald Prent @ 10am
EDM in 9.1

Daniel Shores @ 11:15am
A ‘Touch’ of Immersive Audio

Gregor Zielinsky @ 12:30pm
Musical Phenomenology: Herbert von Karajan & Immersive Audio

Vlado Meller @ 1:45pm
An afternoon with mastering legend Vlado Meller

Ronald Prent & Darcy Proper @ 4pm
Present Ozark Henry’s ‘Paramount’ with the National Orchestra of Belgium

Sunday 1 st November

PMC Demo @ 10am

Tom Ammermann @ 12:30pm
Kraftwerk 3D; How to Create an Immersive/3D Audio Pop Mix in Dolby Atmos

PMC Demo @ 2pm

ruairioflaherty said:
I'm here all weekend, sitting on the floor of the Javitts now waiting for pallets.  I'm tied up almost all of the evenings with various events but if anyone wants to say hi please come by the PMC 9.1 demo room - room 1A18 downstairs.

I'll be overseeing all of the presentations here using some very large speakers  :)  Highlights include Morten Lindberg (jaw dropping sound - literally), Kraftwerk and mastering engineer Vlado Meller.

The schedule in case anyone is interested...

Friday 30th October

PMC Demo @ 10am

Morten Lindberg @ 11am
Into the RAW; Morten will mix ‘raw’ tracks live into a 12.1 Auro 3D mix

Spatial Audio Demo/Uli Scuda Frauenhofer @ 12:30pm
The new standard for universal spatial / 3D audio coding

Bassy Bob Brockman @ 1:45pm
‘Bassy’ will be mixing a ‘live’ track with audience participation

Jonathan Wyner @ 3:15pm
Mastering session demo (3 study cases)

Sono Luminus/Morten Lindberg, Dan Shores & Peter Gregson @ 6pm
The Immersive Audio listening experience

Saturday 31 st October

Ronald Prent @ 10am
EDM in 9.1

Daniel Shores @ 11:15am
A ‘Touch’ of Immersive Audio

Gregor Zielinsky @ 12:30pm
Musical Phenomenology: Herbert von Karajan & Immersive Audio

Vlado Meller @ 1:45pm
An afternoon with mastering legend Vlado Meller

Ronald Prent & Darcy Proper @ 4pm
Present Ozark Henry’s ‘Paramount’ with the National Orchestra of Belgium

Sunday 1 st November

PMC Demo @ 10am

Tom Ammermann @ 12:30pm
Kraftwerk 3D; How to Create an Immersive/3D Audio Pop Mix in Dolby Atmos

PMC Demo @ 2pm
Thanks for posting that complete schedule,,,,, cough.

I friend of mine is leading a panel on AC power and grounding on Thurs at 11AM.  The technical program starts on the 29th, the booth displays don't open until the 30th.

http://www.aes.org/events/139/calendar/calendar.cfm

There's also a speaker session with some speaker design heavyweights. (Gunness, Hienz, etc)

JR

Being an Electrician for over thirty years, I wish I could attend the presentation on AC Power and grounding if, for nothing else, to see if what is presented is actually in agreement with what the NEC requires. Over the years I have seen countless discussions on various audio-related boards that suggest solutions which are totally wrong with regards to NEC. Some of the grounding techniques I have read some so-called experts promoting are downright dangerous. I am not implying that will be the case with this presentation.
Does anyone know if a video or PDF file of the presentations are available for sale after the show?

Spiritworks said:
Being an Electrician for over thirty years, I wish I could attend the presentation on AC Power and grounding if, for nothing else, to see if what is presented is actually in agreement with what the NEC requires.

Bruce Olsen usually does that. He knows what he is doing. He does large tours and installations. It's not how to work on domestic power.

Spiritworks said:
Being an Electrician for over thirty years, I wish I could attend the presentation on AC Power and grounding if, for nothing else, to see if what is presented is actually in agreement with what the NEC requires. Over the years I have seen countless discussions on various audio-related boards that suggest solutions which are totally wrong with regards to NEC. Some of the grounding techniques I have read some so-called experts promoting are downright dangerous. I am not implying that will be the case with this presentation.
Does anyone know if a video or PDF file of the presentations are available for sale after the show?
I don't know if he will publish his presentation, He was still pulling it together a few days ago when he asked me for photos of my outlet tester to include in his power point slides. He has a book (about RV safety) on his website and writes a lot so probably. His interest in my outlet tester is mainly about how the cheap outlet testers don't detect some dangerous mis-wiring situations like RPBG (mine does).

Mike Sokol has a website http://www.noshockzone.org/ and consults to the RV industry, and sound reinforcement field, where mains wiring issues can result in human injury and death.  He also moderates a forum over at PSW  http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,82.0.html

Apparently RV rest area power drops are a constant source of hazards due to abuse and poor maintenance.  DIY wiring inside RVs can be as bad or worse than in homes.  The mains power encountered by musicians in many small venues can be pretty shady.

Don't worry, Mike is not a cut off the ground pin and let er fly, kind of guy... Historically Bill Whitlock chaired this panel and it was focussed on grounding and audio interfaces (to manage hum). Mike will probably bring a little more human safety focus. 

JR

PS: For chuckles I took my prototype outlet tester over to check some outlets in a storage shed my neighbor built about a year ago (he did the wiring himself).. He has an open air sink for cleaning fish with two outlets coming down from the ceiling. I tested those two outlets and one inside the storage area, and only one of the three outlets indicated a good ground connection. At least the line-neutral polarity was correct. The sink outlets are GFCI so he probably won't get electrocuted, but he was surprised to learn that two of his outlets were not grounded, Since one was reading a good ground, it was probably faulty wiring at the other two outlets. 

sodderboy said:
Ruairi,
Is that all happening at the PMC exhibit?  That's awesome!
Mike

Yes, all that is in my room 1A18. Come say hi.

JR,

Sorry for the long post, I thought twice before clicking post.... I had some pretty amazing feedback on forums about the setup we had at AES last year so just wanted to update the groupdiy people. I have one piece of audio from Morten Lindberg that may be the most impressive and emotive recording I've ever heard, for anyone in attendance, come hear it.

ruairioflaherty said:
sodderboy said:
Ruairi,
Is that all happening at the PMC exhibit?  That's awesome!
Mike

Yes, all that is in my room 1A18. Come say hi.

JR,

Sorry for the long post, I thought twice before clicking post.... I had some pretty amazing feedback on forums about the setup we had at AES last year so just wanted to update the groupdiy people. I have one piece of audio from Morten Lindberg that may be the most impressive and emotive recording I've ever heard, for anyone in attendance, come hear it.
nah my point was that there was even more going on, another full day of sessions, etc. I provided a link to a full schedule.

I've attended and worked many AES shows over the decades and remember when the show was much smaller, before the Javits center existed we used to do them in downtown hotels. The thing about the AES show is how eclectic it is covering so many different aspects of audio, not just recording. The tire kickers are a little smarter than NAMM shows. The real show meeting used to be in the hotel bar were industry heavyweights would assemble to chew the fat. These days they are spread out across many different hotels with some staying across the river in joisey to save dead presidents. As I recall Manhattan could be pricey. I wouldn't pay that much to park there, let alone sleep there (but I'm cheap).

JR

Back