Of interest to mic builders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got done doing a little work on a sampson CL7 same microphone company I believe Tenlux = Superlux builds for sampson?

The Capsule(3 micron) is not bad, it does have a thinner sound that a neumann capsule IMO less low mids, you got to get up on it more for the bass increase. This is with two easy cap changes. The transformer is humbucking and uses lams that look kind of like mu. I am going to measure the lam sizes maybe a relam.........

Tim it does sound better than the "stock" china 32mm IMO.

The microphone is not mine. I would like to place the capsule in my 800 type etc to realy hear what it can do.

A superlux microphone might be a good one to buy for the capsule and body

The circuit looks like it might be based off the older U87 I won't know till I reverse it.

I will post the circuit and mods if I think the microphone is a good one to mod.

Dave PM me for what I did so far if you want to work on your microphone

My mic has four transistors, two on the small PCB directly below the capsule, and one each on the two larger PCBs. I didn't have time to trace out the circuit.

Yes, please keep me informed of what you find and any mods you create for the circuit.

[quote author="Gus"]A superlux microphone might be a good one to buy for the capsule and body...[/quote]So, it's my understanding that the Samson case is plastic and the superlux is metal?

On another note, I haven't had any luck selling my 2001, so I hooked it up and compared it to my modified V93 just to see how it sounded. To be honest, I was surprised that the 2001 sounded as good as it did ? not too bad at all. Maybe I lucked up and got a good one, I donno? Anyway, I decided to keep it, cut out the inner mesh, re-lam the transformer and give it the regular cap-job. I'll make before and after clips so we can hear the difference.

[quote author="Flatpicker"][quote author="Gus"]A superlux microphone might be a good one to buy for the capsule and body...[/quote]So, it's my understanding that the Samson case is plastic and the superlux is metal?
[/quote]
No the Samson cases are diecast metal too - the main parts of the bodies really are identical. The upper parts change from one mic to another, not least because the switches (which are mounted at the place where the upper and lower parts join) vary from one mic to the next. Certainly the Samson cases would be a fine starting point for a 'proper' mic - there's a place to mount your own PCB, and probably room for a tranny as well.

Back