oil caps and TIME

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafafredd

I just got many old paper in oil caps from a local store. When I got home, I measured it some of them with my capacitance meter and all the values seems a little high, like it happens with old lytics. It´s something like 25-35% higher then the rated values. I got worried, as I have spent some money buying a big bag of those.

Does oil caps gets LEAKY with time, like lytics?

Read a nice tale of oil caps here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Sansui_500.html

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I think they do. In my expierence with buying caps is that they are usually +/- a percentage value close to the rated value. When I have repalced caps and have been unable to find the right value locally I have gone with caps that have a +/- of 5% and had no problems that I know of. You should be able to find that rating as well. I wouldn't worry all that much.

What's wrong with a too-big cap?

Yes, in tone filters, you need a right-size cap.

But in power filters, bypassing, and coupling, usually you just need an "at-least" cap. A 100 ohm load needs a 100uFd cap to be less than 3dB down at 20Hz, but a 200uFd cap will also be less than 3dB down at 20Hz, so that's cool too. 40uFd may reduce power ripple enough to meet the spec, but 60uFd will also meet spec (better).

So a lot of caps are sold as "minimum" or "-20%/+50%", very loose tolerance where you often get "more than you asked for". It is quicker to churn out 11, 12, 13uFd caps than to sit there and trim each one to 10.0uFd.

Capacitance won't rise with age. (No free lunch, even if you wait.)

Don't confuse capacitance with leakage. Old electros go leaky (I don't think oil-caps do). A really dumb capacity meter might not know the difference between capacitance and leakage; if yours doesn't, you shouldn't be buying old caps.

Check leakage with a 9V battery, cap, and 100K resistor in series. Put a voltmeter across the 100K, and wait about an hour. The voltage will drop from 9V to 0V. For oil caps it should drop to a few millivolts after an hour. You might want to try again with the maximum voltage the cap will see in service, to be sure the oil has not got damp and lost breakdown voltage. But that is dangerous, since oil caps are usually used in high voltage systems. (No reason they can't be used at low voltage.)

Thanks PRR. I´ll try it.

I thought capacitance rise with time because my old electrolytics measure a little high with my capacitance meters, so I think it was an effect of time. I also heard here in the forum that old electros tend to go higher on capacitance.

I´m measurung capacitance with a digital capacitance and inductance meter. It measure new electrolytics, film, ceramic, paper/oil caps really well (at least it shows the values expected), but I don´t know if it´s ok when testing old and probably leaky caps.

Just a cautionary note: Remember that some old high voltage oil caps used PCB (polychlorinated Biphenol) oil. This stuff isn't as dangerous as what some would have us believe, but it is very poisonous if ingested. Wash your hands after handling, and if any appear leaky, get rid of them. Many hazardous waste facilities have incinerators to destroy them.

A friend of mine used Siemens oil-paper caps out of the 50´s for tuning his Hifi system (coupling caps). The are working, he never had trouble with them and indeed improved his system.
:sam:
Jens

Latest posts

Back