One-Bottle Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try again - mirror imaged.

The only other tweek I was thinking was to flip c5 and r12 on the board so that the wires come off the same side as the tube wire connections. This would reduce the length of the wire for the pot by about 50%.

Is that worth pursuing?

Mac

mac said:
The only other tweek I was thinking was to flip c5 and r12 on the board so that the wires come off the same side as the tube wire connections. This would reduce the length of the wire for the pot by about 50%.

Is that worth pursuing?

Yes of course. The more you can think of optimisations like that, the better. I usually draw a quick sketch layout first, leave it for a few days to digest it. Then a few rounds of optimisations. Shortcuts seem to come up like missing words in a crossword puzzle.

Hey, all... tell me if this is nuts or not.

I work at an electronics parts supplier; we get all manner of surplus stuff in, and a few weeks ago I picked up a Tektronix 8-module rack unit, the kind like I used to use when I was working as a broadcast engineer.

Tekbox1.jpg

Tekbox2.jpg

It has slots for cards/PCB's, edge connectors in back, and a malleable back panel; I can clean all this stuff off and reconfigure for XLR IN/OUT and power buss, to be powered from an external unit, natch. There's enough space to stand a tube upright in each slot (to avoid sag), and I can easily perf the top and bottom of each channel for airflow.
8 channels of NYD tube pre...D'yer think this is doable, or am I high on something I don't even know I'm high on?

offramp , I think thats a great Idea !  I'm in the middle of building a Quad in  2U , P2P, struggling with a regulated B+  , then got busy , no time for DIY for a couple more weeks  :mad:

if you haven't already seen this from Freddy G - http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=31148.0

its a real slick piece and tons of info , Go for it !

gemini86 said:
offramp said:
8 channels of NYD tube pre...D'yer think this is doable, or am I high on something I don't even know I'm high on?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=31148.0

OMG... I think I just wet mahself. :lol:

What I was really asking was, if this could be conceivable in this chassis, not if it was conceivable, overall.

Must...get...info...

offramp said:
What I was really asking was, if this could be conceivable in this chassis, not if it was conceivable, overall.

Must...get...info...

Nope don't try it....its impossible.

Just kidding! Looks like a great case...the only thing that comes to mind might be heat...

Your question is mechanical - not electronic.

NYD pre uses very small parts count so the largest parts are usually the output caps, transformers and the tube itself.
Depends on the size of the parts you want to use.....have a measure and see !!

Mac

I don't see a one bottle producing TOO much heat, but the PSU for EIGHT will. But as you said, ventilation would easily be added. Get to it, boy!

Can you believe this s**t?

I roll into work today. We're getting a little spring-cleaning bug up our butts... we're tired of all the surplus crap around here and we might be moving the store in a few months, so we're 'catching a fire' so to speak. Michael, the guy in charge of surplus stuff, waves a box at me and says "12AV7's. Kinda weird. Ever had a use for them?"

So, yeah... now I've got a box of about 10-12 12AV7's in the car.  ;D

I guess I'm supposed to build this preamp rack, huh.

Hey guys, I've decided to build some of these to test them out. This will be my first built strait from a schematic. Its very ambitious for me and I will learn a lot. Thanks NYD :)

I am going to self etch some boards so that I can cram them together.

What input transformer specs do I need to know? Specs such as impedences and turns ratios.

What tube sockets fit the 12AV7 tubes?

I want to make daughter boards for tube to conserve space. Where do you get 90 degree card slots?

Where can I find PCB card holders to mount the cards sideways in the chassis?

I will be adding my own phantom power, phase, and pad switches. I have no idea how to manually add any of these, but its time to learn!

How do you add a pad?

How do you add phantom power?

How do you flip phase?

HERE GO'S SOMETHIN'

All these questions can be found through search. Either here or google. Nyd even drew up a psi schematic I believe.  Take a lesson from other tube projects. The g7 will show you how to mount a 90 degree card. I think the input tx can be between 1:4 - 1:10. Look at the jlm go between for phase, pad and 48

What input transformer specs do I need to know? Specs such as impedences and turns ratios.

Low Z mic to grid, shielded.  Most all modern iron will be a lower step ratio up than vintage iron.

Cinemag CMMI 10C is a good standard starting point for comparisons.

gemini86 said:
All these questions can be found through search. Either here or google. Nyd even drew up a psi schematic I believe.  Take a lesson from other tube projects. The g7 will show you how to mount a 90 degree card. I think the input tx can be between 1:4 - 1:10. Look at the jlm go between for phase, pad and 48

Can someone link me to the NYD PSU that works for this project?

I will take the phantom/phase/pad from other existing projects, thanks. I will also look at the G7 but that does not help me find the parts I need to mount the daughter board and tube unless that project has the same tubes and pin count for the daughter card connector.

The tubes are novel. Some small L brackets will work... seriously google is your friend.  Any tube psi will work. Transformer, rectifier, cap, then another r-c filter stage. I may have the psu saved on my pc, if I do i'll upload later.

Latest posts

Back