One Offs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

How many of you guys have one offs in your studio. That custom gears that is the only one in world.  The piece that your buddy can't run over to Sweetwater and cop so he can duplicate your sound.

I have several built by my late-father - five different guitar amps, effects pedals (from ETI), a mic preamp that he designed and a stereo LA2A. Once I reached my teens and began playing guitar I put him to work - no more silly hifi or radio stuff although he never could quite understand the deliberate introduction of distortion into stuff ;D

There´s barely any commercial piece of equipment in my place which is not modified. I always find things to tinker with and make them behave the way I like it. And then there´s all that DIY stuff which I usually modify on the way of building it anyway.

I have two different friends who built their own recording consoles back in the '80s.

I have designed many commercial products so my one-offs would be the orphans that didn't make it to prime time.

One studio gadget that I only made a couple of was a phantom powered DI for bass guitar built inside a 1/4" plug housing. I even named it ("DIC" ... direct injection cable). This was back before SMD so those were through hole parts crammed inside the plug housing. I liked it, but kind of difficult to market for a pretty specialized application (bass and/or maybe rhodes keyboard), and tracking a bass flat direct from the instrument is not always the easiest way to get a good bass sound.

JR

My  gear collection has a lot of one offs because I tinker with just about everything....

Some of it is DIY stuff which although it not a one off, most people can not get those regularly... like a gssl

Some of it is custom stuff  as part of the learning curve like my lollypop mic(named it that because it looks like a lolly)

some of it is ideas that never went anywhere but I can't just throw them out. (my 4 ch preamp works and sounds good, but too clean)

Lastly some of it is just to be different... For example  my purple audio mc77 was been modded for different ratios.  I really prefer  2, 4, 8, and 20 vs the standard of 4, 8, 12, 20.

Sure we all could do that if we wanted but it's not available that readily.

I have a one-off furnace fan controller.

Interesting sound as the three fans rise and fall in pitch.

I have one:

moodforgs.jpg

JohnRoberts said:
I have two different friends who built their own recording consoles back in the '80s.

I have designed many commercial products so my one-offs would be the orphans that didn't make it to prime time.

One studio gadget that I only made a couple of was a phantom powered DI for bass guitar built inside a 1/4" plug housing. I even named it ("DIC" ... direct injection cable). This was back before SMD so those were through hole parts crammed inside the plug housing. I liked it, but kind of difficult to market for a pretty specialized application (bass and/or maybe rhodes keyboard), and tracking a bass flat direct from the instrument is not always the easiest way to get a good bass sound.

JR

You now have 3.
Best,
Bruno2000

I have octave down effect that my brother made. I doubt anyone else has made an octave down effect using tubes.

octaverpieni.png

Here is a my DIY amp that I built in the early '70s.

4x250W.  I built the amp inside an old western electric power supply chassis.

As I recall the power transformer alone weighed 65#.

old school heavy iron.

JR

Attachments

• P1010072.JPG
    P1010072.JPG
    60.2 KB
PRR said:
I have a one-off furnace fan controller.

Interesting sound as the three fans rise and fall in pitch.

My studio is in my garage, so I've been struggling to keep the furnace and water heater sounds out of my tracks all winter.

wow, fantastic stuff....

this is a future one off :)

WIP sound_card in/out modification

edit: hey GARY, can u post a more detailed picture,  form the top  :eek:

Attachments

• bench.JPG
    bench.JPG
    179.7 KB
The Don Quixotecaster:

don-qcaster.jpg

Sakura, a 5W single-ended amp. My dad built the cabinet.

sakura-woodchipper-front-of-cabinet.jpg

Closeup of the faceplate:
sakura-woodchipper-faceplate-close-up-1.jpg

A fuzz made with all glass components (except for that single electrolytic capacitor):

ship-in-a-bottle-fuzz.jpg
ship-in-a-bottle-closeup.jpg

The resistors are unbelievably hard to find. A friend actually GAVE me a whole bag of them, from which I was able to cobble together a circuit. The capacitors are all 100nF -- the only value I was able to find at the time; I think they're just SMD caps in a glass housing. A Ge diode. And the black glass germanium transistors. The circuit is one-of-a-kind, too -- I've never seen this method of clipping, with the single diode between the two collectors, used in anything else.

Back