OPEN SOURCE DIY Mic Project - ORS 87 - Stripped Down u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then @Khron will have to explain to eso one more time what's wrong 🤣
You post a screen shot of the TSC-2 cartridge that clearly shows the front and back wires AND a ground anchored to a face screw of the cartridge while I explained that my cartridges arrived with only front and back wires connected, but ground wires were supplied separately and I'm being a pain for trying to seek clarity on the proper installation... mmmkay.

That seems like a pretty petty comment.

You post a screen shot of the TSC-2 cartridge that clearly shows the front and back wires AND a ground anchored to a face screw of the cartridge while I explained that my cartridges arrived with only front and back wires connected, but ground wires were supplied separately and I'm being a pain for trying to seek clarity on the proper installation... mmmkay.

That seems like a pretty petty comment.
Did you read all the previous posts carefully?
The capsule has no ground (GND)
The brass is the BP backplate which does not connect to ground (GND) but to polarization BP.
If you can't understand otherwise, then connect the blue wire directly to the backplate with a shorter screw.
The white wire connects it to SGNL (signal - gate of jFET)
EDIT:
I don't have a tsc-2 capsule here I posted another picture, although your way of connecting the blue wire to the BP backplate is good too.

Attachments

• 0135423575672 (1).png
    0135423575672 (1).png
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1200 (1).jpg
    s-l1200 (1).jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
AND a ground anchored to a face screw of the cartridge

First of all, why is that a "ground"?

Second, the face screw in that particular diagram screws into the backplate anyway, so electrically it's precisely just like a screw going through the capsule-holding "saddle", with a ring terminal & wire. I'm not quite sure why you insist on the backplate(s) being "ground".

Please try to answer that first question of mine at least to yourself, if not to us others too.

Did you read all the previous posts carefully?
The capsule has no ground (GND)
The brass is the BP backplate which does not connect to ground (GND) but to polarization BP.
Connect the blue wire directly to the backplate with a shorter screw.
The white wire connects it to SGNL (signal - gate of jFET)
I have read carefully. One issue here is my assumption that a wire to the body is a ground. I stand corrected. My thinking there is based in larger assemblies where wires to a chassis are typically a ground: mea culpa.

Regardless of my error in terminology, I received 3 TSC-2 cartridges that each have 2 white wires connected to them: one to the center of each face. There is no Blue wire beyond the additional wires supplied (Which is apparently polarization and can be connected through the mounting screw as I have done, but you seem to prefer a direct connection with a shorter screw). The latest image you've posted again shows a cartridge with different colored wire to each face and a 3rd wire to the BP.

So then the only connections are the white wire of the face I decide to use (SGNL) and the BP (POL) which would be the blue wire: in cardioid configuration the the rear face remains unconnected, or connected to GND.

Is that correct?

eso

Attachments

• Cartridge.jpeg
    Cartridge.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 0
I have read carefully. One issue here is my assumption that a wire to the body is a ground. I stand corrected. My thinking there is based in larger assemblies where wires to a chassis are typically a ground: mea culpa.

Regardless of my error in terminology, I received 3 TSC-2 cartridges that each have 2 white wires connected to them: one to the center of each face. There is no Blue wire beyond the additional wires supplied (Which is apparently polarization and can be connected through the mounting screw as I have done, but you seem to prefer a direct connection with a shorter screw). The latest image you've posted again shows a cartridge with different colored wire to each face and a 3rd wire to the BP.

So then the only connections are the white wire of the face I decide to use (SGNL) and the BP (POL) which would be the blue wire: in cardioid configuration the the rear face remains unconnected, or connected to GND.

Is that correct?

eso
Absolutely right.

Is that correct?

Yes 👍🏻

Attachments

• 83413-78861e4db9e664b79c2fcf5036e99475.jpeg
    83413-78861e4db9e664b79c2fcf5036e99475.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-06-28-16-42-44-729_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-28-16-42-44-729_com.android.chrome.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-06-28-16-51-01-382_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-28-16-51-01-382_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• 02_HL95.jpg
    02_HL95.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 03_HL95.jpg
    03_HL95.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-28-16-56-22-219_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-28-16-56-22-219_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi Khron, ready for a test etch? I got a M Audio Nova for a stripped down u87 style mic without PAD and HP. I got a Neutrik 10/3 left over from my DIY SELA T12 mics, too. I am ready :cool:
You can already order on PCBWay,
I simulated a calculation, it is very cheap.
For 5 PCBs+transport it costs about $10!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-28-17-19-46-740_com.atomicadd.fotos_1719584438010.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-28-17-19-46-740_com.atomicadd.fotos_1719584438010.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back