OPEN SOURCE DIY Mic Project - ORS 87 - Stripped Down u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a voice only sample, no EQ or other processing, ~8" away, doing my best Wordsushi impression.
Chain was ORS87 > UA Solo/610 (3 gain, 9 Vol) > Apogee One > Logic Pro
View attachment 130800
It sounds very nice
chiseled, smooth. Very pleasant voice.
It's not exactly the Neumann sound, in the midrange area, but that's because of the capsule.
What headbasket / body did you use HL-95?

It sounds very nice
chiseled, smooth. Very pleasant voice.
It's not exactly the Neumann sound, in the midrange area, but that's because of the capsule.
What headbasket / body did you use HL-95?
I used HL-95, yeah. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the body, although the fake switches are a little silly.

I'll likely try a more premium capsule on a future build (probably an Arienne), but my goal for this first build was to just pass signal, and it does that (and actually sounds pretty good considering I haven't done a bias with a scope). I may also adjust C6, but I'm in no rush to do so yet, as I'm just delighted the mic works. :)

Here's a voice only sample, no EQ or other processing, ~8" away, doing my best Wordsushi impression.
Chain was ORS87 > UA Solo/610 (3 gain, 9 Vol) > Apogee One > Logic Pro
View attachment 130800
Very flattered... and very flattering! That sounds great on you. The mids in your voice sit very nicely here and your voice is clear, detailed and forward. Mark this one as done. You have yourself a nice little recording tool there that should serve you quite well.

I used HL-95, yeah. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the body, although the fake switches are a little silly.

I'll likely try a more premium capsule on a future build (probably an Arienne), but my goal for this first build was to just pass signal, and it does that (and actually sounds pretty good considering I haven't done a bias with a scope). I may also adjust C6, but I'm in no rush to do so yet, as I'm just delighted the mic works. :)
I am absolutely convinced that an Arienne k87 capsule will lead you even closer to the original.
Stop tweaking the C6, it now sounds exceptional on your voice.
@Wordsushi has a good ear and I assure you he is impressed✨
Sincere congratulations!

When I listen to comparisons between the Neumann U87 and various clones, I think I hear a difference in the reverb on the guitar and piano. With the U87, I find that the reverb sounds natural, whereas the clones have elements that resemble being out of tune.

Spectrum analysis of the material for each microphone on similar comparisons doesn't show visually where the difference depends on. But you can hear the differences. I assume if you do measure single sinus tone or make frequency sweeps, the curves will be very similar (within +- 0.3 dB?).

To mimic the sound of say a specific Neumann U87 so one cannot distinguish any difference from a replica, I wonder if measuring the result of a more complex signal would help. Just like when intermodulation distorsion (IM) measurement for amplifiers were being ridiculed in the beginning.

Last edited:
I think all I need to do is wire this in. Does it matter which side is input or output?

Attachments

• tempImageHhjTyB.png
    tempImageHhjTyB.png
    12.8 MB · Views: 0
I think all I need to do is wire this in. Does it matter which side is input or output?
I don't know if it's the same wiring scheme as the Tab T-13, but the wiring guide I've been using for the Ali T-13 is as follows.
If you turn the transformer so that the text is right side up and the wires are facing downward:
Going from left to right (the first Yellow wire is the one on the left side)
S- yellow
P+ black
S+ yellow
P- black

I don't know if it's the same wiring scheme as the Tab T-13, but the wiring guide I've been using for the Ali T-13 is as follows.
If you turn the transformer so that the text is right side up and the wires are facing downward:
Going from left to right (the first Yellow wire is the one on the left side)
S- yellow
P+ black
S+ yellow
P- black
thank you!

P= primary
S=Secondary

They refer to the 2 windings on the transformer. TXI probably means transformer in i.e connect the primary here. TXO probably means transformer out, connect secondary here.
P= primary
S=Secondary

They refer to the 2 windings on the transformer. TXI probably means transformer in i.e connect the primary here. TXO probably means transformer out, connect secondary here.
Think I got it now. Thank you!

Just plug it in, respecting Primary(black) - to C7 and GND
and Secondary(yellow)- to Output.
If the microphone is not in phase with any other commercial microphone(condenser or dynamic), reverse the primary wires,
or secondary wires,
or xlr2 with xlr3.

Last edited:
I just received these in the mail from Jenny. She must have threw them in with my microphone bodies by mistake. They look to be the same size as a CM-13113. Anybody ever try these. There for sale in the black market. I intend on using Moby's.

Attachments

• ShuaiYin 9.5.1.JPG
    ShuaiYin 9.5.1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back