OPEN SOURCE DIY Mic Project - ORS 87 - Stripped Down u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may pick a nit, there's nothing to be gained from increasing the signal level and repeating. The bias level which minimises distortion is the same, over a wide range of levels. This post has measurements made with the same ORS87 PCB which illustrates the point.

If you have any half-way decent audio interface, Room EQ Wizard is great free software which gives distortion readings directly, and is much more sensitive than a 'scope. I often use an iPhone with a signal generator app as a signal source, it gives output in the 0-400mV range which is ideal for this application.

If you just want something roughly right, set the voltage on Q1's drain to 10-12V. All the FETs I've measured have an optimum somewhere near this.

If you have any half-way decent audio interface, Room EQ Wizard is great free software which gives distortion readings directly, and is much more sensitive than a 'scope.

By "oscilloscope and/or spectrum analyzer" i meant / implied that their virtual versions should work just as well, be they within REW, or plugins in one's DAW of choice.

If you just want something roughly right, set the voltage on Q1's drain to 10-12V. All the FETs I've measured have an optimum somewhere near this.

That presumes a 24V supply; not necessarily the case in "my" ORS87-plus.

Well, after my 4th or 5th attempt, using the KSA board, I now have a working microphone. I know I'm gonna get kicked for this, but, I cannot seem to understand the directions for biasing...I can see on the scheme that signal injection goes between R15 and R9-but i dont see any connection on the board. Having said that, the mic seems to be very low self noise. The sound quality seems to be good, using a BM800 donor body and capsule. However, I have to crank up the input gain to get decent levels-altho, that may be due to the trashy capsule. If any of you would, please take a listen to the attached sound file for critique. Thanks!
View attachment ORS:KSA.wav

Well, after my 4th or 5th attempt, using the KSA board, I now have a working microphone. I know I'm gonna get kicked for this, but, I cannot seem to understand the directions for biasing...I can see on the scheme that signal injection goes between R15 and R9-but i dont see any connection on the board. Having said that, the mic seems to be very low self noise. The sound quality seems to be good, using a BM800 donor body and capsule. However, I have to crank up the input gain to get decent levels-altho, that may be due to the trashy capsule. If any of you would, please take a listen to the attached sound file for critique. Thanks!
View attachment 137340
Sounds splendid đź‘Ś Like a U87 actually. I don't know the board, but just stick it in there, stuck it, solder it or whatever is easiest?

U87 is not high gain . S/N ratio sounds alright, can't hear hiss. Sum brum though. Maybe not the mic but something brumming at your place?

Sounds splendid đź‘Ś Like a U87 actually. I don't know the board, but just stick it in there, stuck it, solder it or whatever is easiest?

U87 is not high gain . S/N ratio sounds alright, can't hear hiss. Sum brum though. Maybe not the mic but something brumming at your place?
Thank you. Yeah, I dont have the best place for sound checks, thats my AC...

I don't see anything on the board that specifies, but, there is a project number W536781AS3P2, from PCBWay

You can compare how your board versus the render currently visible on the project page, surely..?

Or is there a "CAL" wire-pad on the board you have? A photo might help...

It's the 1.0

There we go then - the "calibration" input was not yet physically implemented there. But it can be easily added - desolder the ground end of that 10k resistor (R15 on that board, i guess), and add a 560 or 620 ohm resistor in series with it. The joint between those two is now the "cal" input.

The above-mentioned procedure applies:
Same as every other U87 clone.

Apply 1kHz signal between "Cal" and ground, monitor the output signal on an oscilloscope and/or spectrum analyzer, turn bias for minimum distortion / harmonics, increase input signal, rinse & repeat.

Or you can take a bit of a shortcut too:

There we go then - the "calibration" input was not yet physically implemented there. But it can be easily added - desolder the ground end of that 10k resistor (R15 on that board, i guess), and add a 560 or 620 ohm resistor in series with it. The joint between those two is now the "cal" input.

The above-mentioned procedure applies:

Or you can take a bit of a shortcut too:
Thank you! That’s on me for not realizing there had been an update. My first clue was the cal pad is on the updated schematic, which, I now see, means an updated board…
Thanks much for the clarification!

Back