Opinion on table saw

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I'm short on space, so I can't get a big proper table saw, so I've been looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-10-Inch-Job-Site-Capacity/dp/B000HXT2N6

DeWalt has a good reputation, and every tool I've seen of theirs has been built well. Really, it's just a matter of if I can live with the 20" rip limit. I'm thinking, if the fence can come off I can always rig another fence further away if I need to.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I've got three (don't ask) like the $99 Makita at Home Depot. Wait until they offer it *with* the stand. Only young men can use this on the floor, there's never a table where you need it, sawhorses and planks are asking for trouble unless you do a lot of screwing. (The second was free at the curb, the third a bit bigger $30 yard-sale.)

I often rip 8 foot trim and studs with these things. My whole loft is trimmed with 8' 1x3 ripped to 1.1" to cover my 0"-0.75" gaps.

My biggest problem is space to store it when not in use, so a portable version would be perfect. You probably have a point about the stand, though. Maybe I can make one.

get a good blade for important cuts,
an older craftsman brand from estate sale/craigs list
might be had for much less and be about as good or better. depending when it was made...with new tools you get almost what you pay for--dewalt is a step up from the $99 saw but still has too much slop to be really precise

You can make a stand, but not as good as the "free" one; and where do you store the stand?

If you *know* tablesaws, agree with an older Craftsman (older is better!). But sometimes they have real problems, which is why they sat unfixed for 30 years until daughter clears out Dad's old junk. (Sears used to be good about old parts but in the last 10 years they dropped almost everything.)

What are you doing? Trimming the garage or making violin slabs? I find that trim accuracy is a lot about technique, and accepting the occasional whoops. Fine wood-wacking is both good technique and a very good tool. Marimba bars must be roughed and then planed, so saw accuracy is mostly about reducing plane work.

I'm using a Plunge Circle Saw only,
and I can split down to 50mm/2" with the precision of the rail.

My main interest right now is cajons, which I learned is basically the same as making speaker cabinets.

To be honest, what I'd really like is a gigantic 100W laser cutter that can go through 3/4" MDF and cut whatever the hell I want, but that's a few years away yet, and you want to talk about having no space now...

But yes, this has a lot to do with my instrument building. I've also considered a radial arm saw. I'd like a band saw as well, but again, I have limited space to keep these things.

:) A plunge saw could be perfect.
You'll need to have your sheet lye firm. For a table saw you need good support on the sides.
The plunge saw I would use on the floor with some support wood under.
Works very well.

Well, can't give much advice on those.
Are you sure they have tilt?
And do you think they'll provide you enough support for your materials?

Radial arm saws and table saws perform different tasks.

Think of a radial arm saw as a up market drop saw. Good for mitering frame work, and cross cutting. You can not cut sheets or rip timber length wise (any wider than the distance that the blade slides out)

For example - you would probably struggle to make speaker boxes with a radial arm saw. Better off with a good handheld circular saw and a nice fencing system.

T

What are you planning to cut/make with the saw? If you are ripping sheet goods (plywood) you are probable better off making a rip fence and using a handheld circular saw. If you are cutting thin strips to size a saw like the one you posted can work wonderfully and is exceptionally portable (I've used an older version of these for years on site.) For most of the work I do these days my favorite saw is the Festool TS55 a no compromise, pricy, track based saw system. Best thing is this unit cuts so clean that I can used a cut edge as a finished edge if I want.
If you are looking used older portable Makita products are nice. I'd avoid older craftsman portable units. Ones I had were out of balance and too lightweight.

I've been using a circular saw with fences, and it's been working out very poorly for me. It's very difficult to repeat cuts that give me (as close as possible to) identical pieces.

I'm sure I'll figure this all out for myself, then. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back