2 pin nuts on SSL preamp - what's the tool called?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOON

I'm repairing one of the SSL 4 channel preamp units and the nuts for the pots are round with two notches in them. You often see these types in collet knobs as well and I actually have the correct tool, but in the wrong size.
I can get them off with needle nosed pliers (they're recessed into the faceplate) but it's not a fun job. I've been going a bit nuts trying to find the proper tool online, because if they're only a few $ I'll order one, but I don't know the proper name for them and all the descriptions I put in come up with the wrong things. I could potentially make one if I can find some 10mm metal tube and spend some time filing, but that's Plan B for now.

Does anyone know what they're called?

Pin spanner / wrench seems to be the correct term and comes up with lots of hits that would work if it was flat on a faceplate, but I need a socket version. Will post some photos shortly.

Here's a photo of one of the culprits along with exactly the right tool in the wrong size. If I had any 10mm tubing handy I'd have a go with a file, but I don't.

Attachments

• 20240203_103322.jpg
    20240203_103322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Aha! If you want to spend lots of money you can buy a "switch bezel tool" which is commonly used in cars or a "Staubli Nut Driver" which is probably the official one, but the magic password to the cheap ones on ebay, amazon etc is "destuffing tool"! Apparently it's something to do with walkie-talkie antenna removal. I NEVER would have guessed that one!

Its a collet tool. You can buy one from Studio Electronics that is two sided, one for the knob one for the shaft.

Decades ago I bought 2 sizes of the Sifam tool in the Canford Audio catalogue Rob Flinn linked to, they are very good quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324802034858These look a bit more shonky, but I guess they don't get used much really.
Mine don't unless I get a Drawmer to repair.
That looks cool. I can't quite see from the image...does it have a hole for the pot shaft?

Yeahbut, if you have had the proper high quality tool for decades, you get a certain smugness every time you use it.

Priceless.

Yeahbut, if you have had the proper high quality tool for decades, you get a certain smugness every time you use it.

Priceless.
No guff! The last time I had this proper tool in my hands was when I had the 4:00pm-Midnight maintenance shift at a large recording studio complex from 1989-'91. We had 2 x Mitsubishi Westar and a Superstar console that used that nut. The parts kits for the Mitsis came with the Sifam tool. Been looking for one off-and-on ever since. We also had 4 (maybe 5?) SSL-4000's and a Neve VR-60.

In the old days when touring desks went out with a rack full of gates and comps and FX, you would have to have been mad not to have the proper tool to take all the knobs off to change a pot.

1706996901517.png
1706997001550.png

Latest posts

Back