Orange 86 Build Thread - no PCBs for sale

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should remove that post.  I try to be accurate in recalling the variables changed between listening test, but the 12bh7 wasn't the variable.  It was actually using AC on heaters that provided the "love" I was hearing.  This is part of the reason for the new PSU.  The other reason being "green" of course.

The 12bh7 has a little less output, and it is more for experimentation and cost cutting. So after recent further experimentation I preferred the original V2 choice.

That's great to know.  I was going to run with AC heaters, anyway, for the "green" aspect as well as the simplicity.  I'm glad to know that there might be a sonic advantage as well.

I need to keep this puppy simple (my first tube circuit!), and sticking to the "no options" plan is certainly helpful.

When did the PSU change?  I think I received my boards back in Feb/March -- Am I good to go?

Thanks,
Jim

In April I released a new Aux PSU with P48 and relay power as well as AC Filament supply.  If you ordered in Feb/March, there were no DC heater PSU's.  You may want the new PSU for relays, P48 and to help make AC supply a bit more "user friendly".

So just finished a dual build with no frills, ac heaters, phase and phantom power with a plain front pannel switch, no relays. Jensen jt-115ke input transformers, edcor 8.2:1 output tranny. Sounds awesome, easy to buld, nice low noise floor, plenty of gain. Love this thing

guavatone said:
In April I released a new Aux PSU with P48 and relay power as well as AC Filament supply.  If you ordered in Feb/March, there were no DC heater PSU's.  You may want the new PSU for relays, P48 and to help make AC supply a bit more "user friendly".

Yup.  The new PSU is exactly what I want.
I'll send you an email order.

Thanks.

I updated Squish switch info on page one.  It may be best to use a pot with a switch to
disengage Squish circuit. Alpha RV24A01F-10-15R1-B55 should do the trick.

I'll see if I can find my copy when I get home.
In the meantime I found the v1.4 spreadsheet in my email if it's any help.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AulCRsGpYuimdHFyYUZCRGtRbzcxZW80cFpibFBBSWc

Found the 1.5 zip, here's a link to my dropbox:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9818263/O86_Build%20Docs-v1.5.zip
PS Our dual orange 86 continues to be one of the most frequently used pieces of equipment in the studio. If Charlie decides to sell the PCBs again, I'd couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Build Docs updated.  Sorry, but I was thrown off a bit this past summer.

Note, the the docs have v1 PS for phantom and DC heaters.

I will try to find v2 PS aux-LT-P48 schematics if anyone needs it.

I too have found your Orange 86 to be quite stellar in sound appeal, Charlie.

It is the first tube pre I have built and listened to that sounds like I expected - rich, powerful and 'tubey' :)

Glad I picked up a couple of pcbs when they were available.

Cheers

I put your squish mod on my dripelectronics fourseven rev.2 and am very happy in how it turned out! I can get around 2-3dB of GR with it and it sounds cool, like dry/wet control with a nice smooth compressor. Also distortion overtones change slightly when applying squish - 3rd is reduced in favour of 2nd, which is boosted.

Thanks for having the schems public so we can all experiment a bit :)

alexc said:
I too have found your Orange 86 to be quite stellar in sound appeal, Charlie.

It is the first tube pre I have built and listened to that sounds like I expected - rich, powerful and 'tubey' :)

Glad I picked up a couple of pcbs when they were available.

Cheers

I've gotten one channel of my build finished...mostly...spent 1/2 day trying to get rid of AC hum, that Edcor is a beat to tame...I was amazed that by turning it 45 degrees inside the case cut its noise by 1/2.

Anyway...this thing sounds incredible, clean crisp (I still have some white noise but I am a freak about that anyway, so its probably normal)...

Anyway I'm not getting the kind of gain I assumed I would, mind you its not bad, its just not as loud as my Neve builds or my API, or my Drawmer....even my Green seems louder...

This unit blows them all away as far as clarity, richness...and I went with the Edcors but am going to to swap them out for cinemags or sowters...I do not like noise...

SO my voltages are "close" but not exactly what Charly suggested...I'm down to 90v on plate V1 and on plate V2 its up to 160v...my grids are off by the same margin...I also noticed that my DC 6.3 volt is running 6.3 unloaded from psu, but drops to 4.6 when I plug into channel...

I think like Charleys sig says "If it sounds good move on" but I was wondering if these numbers are cause for concern or are they tolerable?

Russian tubes kept the EF86/ECC88 combo...

I found the russian ef86 style tube to vary quite a bit from unit to unit. Bias voltage variation as well as screen voltage variation. That leads to gain differences. And the published curves were quite different to what I saw in my build.

It only takes very little variation in the plate current due to bias variation to have quite a big effect, when large plate/screen resistances are used. But 90V on the plate is  pretty reasonable.

If possibly, I would hang an edcor psu traffo out the back of the enclosure rather than inside it. No real reason to have it inside and closer to hum sensitive things. I've done both ways and I wouldn't do inside again.

Not sure about the white noise - this is broadband, uniform noise? If so, you could try different tubes. As I said, I see significant variation on them. Maybe you can lower what you are getting by substitution.

I also love this pcb - the psu regulation is simple and works well and the circuit realisation is flexible.

Couple of things I don't like - the offboard phase reverse with the extra wiring doesn't enamour itself to me.
And the di circuit is a little complex with quite a few wires.

Sound is awesome though. Compared to other diy tube preamps there is no comparison imho.
But yes, the gain is a little low. And that is using a lesser step down (4:1) than the original.

I'm just doing another pair of these and have been doing the basic circuit as point to point in a few other places.

Back