original 2tube DI, need help: critique and optimize (on shoulders of REDDI)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually lurk & absorb info (hence my username, haha :) ) but have a question. I'm wondering if this design could be modded to use a 12au7, and still have enough gain to be useful?

Edit: physical implementation looks great!
Should be straightforward. You will save on heater current for sure. 12AU7 plate resistance is higher than a 6N1P but that will just add more tone. A 12AU7 has plenty enough gain to make up the loss in the EQ stage.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks! Looking forward to building a pair, and seeing how the circuit performs as a summing amp (near/at the end of an analog mixing chain). I have a variety of gently used 12au7 and similar tubes with which to roll.

Next step is to execute an intuitive and tidy build in this enclosure. I plan to complete it and document it in the preamp section.
I will go over how to orient your transformers for "ZERO" 60hz hum in a tight enclosure and wire it in a way that would make the 1940s lead dress scientists proud.

You can see that i have the power transformer safely prepared to apply voltage on the primary directly from the wall and listen for hum on the output transformer secondary.

Thanks for watching ;)
Hey Andy!
Did you ever documented this ? can't seem to find it.

Latest posts

Back