Page 43

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce0

My first Brewery post.

No not the Stephen Stills song (Page 43) I would just like to know how folks find page 43 (no caps)?

I know that in these forums it is customary for folks to demand others searching to find an answer they consider too simple, even for their own previous post.  I don't do that, but I don't mind that, it is a custom.  Sort of like "Sonny... you have to search... when I was a kid I searched 40 miles through the snow"

But when folks refer to "see post on page 9", what does that mean?  My screen resolution is different or something because usually when I am looking for page 9... I only have 3 pages!  Perhaps my preferences are different.  How many posts a page we all have seems to be variable, is there a standard number?  What was it.  There is a lovely little world icon on this editor that lets me put a link in...  that is a nice way to refer to another page, but no way to find page 43... unless someone can point me to a way to do that (Just begging for it!)

Apologies... just a pet peeve.

See the top and bottom of the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 11.18.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 11.18.02 AM.png
    30.5 KB
Gosh... I didn't mean to bother you Ethan...

My profile default is set to 50 posts per screen, so page 43 for me is 43*50/20 or about page 107 to a poster with a default setup.  Of course if he has his profile set to 25 posts then it is page 86.

And I probably should 86 this post.

Sorry Ethan, no need to bother you.  I was sort of joking, I could always set my screen to 20 posts, the site default.  But I am not sure that even the posters that specify page numbers are using default.

My point was it is nicer when folks use the link.

Update:

Actually, I just tried to find page 15 on jeff's post on the DIY API console.  I couldn't, even when I made my posts per page the default, because my other defaults have changed (I read newest post first so above is below, and I have other stuff checked, and there is no way to reset to the defaults without making a new ID.).

Look this is the Brewery, and I am sorry I posted... The site is great, and I feel like I am smoking a cigar in a Sushi bar.

No bother at all.  I guess I misunderstood your question this morning (not enough coffee).
I understand now. But are you still having an issue finding posts when u set your preference to the default of 20?

No still doesn't work, because I have the most recent post listed FIRST (so when folks say "post above" for me it is below!).

Here is a proper link to the post that finally pushed me over the edge:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37941.msg656891#msg656891

I still don't know what that page 15 refers to... even after I set my views per page to 20 ( I think because of the "most recent first" setting ).

The post wasn't all that interesting anyway (at least I don't think so, I couldn't find it).

And when I looked at all my "look" options in my profile, I just threw in the towel.  I don't know what I changed.  But really, I don't care.  Don't fix it... if people put in links (like the one above) they wouldn't have to refer to page numbers.

Did you ever say something, and then regret it  ::)

Go to PROFILE > MODIFY PROFILE > LOOK AND LAYOUT
then uncheck  "Show most recent posts at the top" and save.

In the future, let's try to encourage links to specific posts. If somebody is referencing a previous post, let's kindly ask them to link to that post for a smoother flow of information.

If it's so easy for them to find, then it should be easy to add a link.

Back