Passive DI Box Design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilan

Hi,
I have a Jensen JT-DB-E transformer and I would like to build a passive DI box.
The Jensen data sheet present this circuit with a 6K8 resistor between the input jack to the primary side of the transformer and a 51R resistor in series with a 10 nF capacitor that connects pin 1 of the output XLR jack to ground that is active when the ground lift is active.
What are the advantages of this circuit over more simple circuit with no resistors and capacitors?

Attachments

• DI.jpg
    DI.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 117
Hi,
I have a Jensen JT-DB-E transformer and I would like to build a passive DI box.
The Jensen data sheet present this circuit with a 6K8 resistor between the input jack to the primary side of the transformer and a 51R resistor in series with a 10 nF capacitor that connects pin 1 of the output XLR jack to ground that is active when the ground lift is active.
What are the advantages of this circuit over more simple circuit with no resistors and capacitors?
The 6.81k is there for protecting the primary against possible DC, e.g. when connecting to an active guitar, and provides a degree of RF protection; the resistor and the xfmr's stray capacitance form a low-pass filter.

Latest posts

Back