Paul Buff 1936-2015

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just been writing a description of a Valley People 610. According to the Valley People website, that's the last compressor built (by them) with input from Paul

I've always been a huge fan of the Valley People Dynamite and the Allison Research Gain Brain, but only discovered fairly recently that Paul Buff was responsible for both

Always a shame to lose someone so brilliant but he left his mark with some remarkable products

Nick Froome

Paul did a bunch more than that...

He wrote an excellent article for RE/P about noise measurement back when he was selling a Valley Audio (?) noise test set***  (1980s).  He even dabbled in console automation.  He was a brilliant circuit designer, fluent in log domain (Vbe) discrete design for dynamics processing.  He was also generous about sharing the knowledge.  Looking at his old schematics is good training for anyone who thinks they know dynamic side chain design.  ;D ;D

At one point Marty Galley (publisher of RE/P magazine wanted me and Paul to do no-BS product reviews for the magazine.  A US version of the well respected Hugh Ford reviews in Studio Sound. Paul and I both declined because we were busy, and conflicted with products of our own. Marty got an LA studio tech to do a few reviews but never got much traction, although the reviews seemed pretty rigorous.

Paul left his foot prints in the sand of time and will live on through his products. RIP ^2

JR

*** The noise test set looked that old dbx dB meter but on steroids, with range switch and a bunch more features,

Back