PC v Mac environments

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gyraf said:
Atari ST was more stable than the Amiga. And with the external midi box for Notator/Creator (Logic) it had tighter timing than anything today.

I'm pretty sure that the applications accessed the hardware directly on those machines, so maintaining tight timing was a matter of the right number of _nop_ operators between port accesses.

Modern protected operating systems disallow hardware access by anything other than a driver, for a whole lot of Real Good Reasons.

-a

Rob Flinn said:
Andy Peters said:
Rob Flinn said:
I admit that in some instances macs seem to be less clunky, but at the same place one of my workmates had to set up 3 macbook airs on the brand new meraki network so they could use them with the network printers etc.  Let's just say he was looking rather bald by the time he finished. 

That's a Meraki fail, not a Mac fail.

I am not networking expert but there were no isssues setting the mac pro's up on the meraki system  ..................

Let me guess: hardwired vs wireless Ethernet.

Andy Peters said:
I mean, I see more update notifications from Windows 7 in a week than I see from OS X in a year.

So what that means? 
Bill cares about its users and the apfel  doesn't!
Who has better support?
;D

etheory said:
I absolutely and utterly can't stand OSX or iOS. IMO they are probably the worst user experience I've ever had on a computer. Keyboard shortcuts that defy the physics of stretching fingers,

Many keyboard shortcuts are standardized across all platforms. It's the "Common User Interface." That's why Ctrl-S is always save, Ctrl-X is always cut, Ctrl-Z is always undo. (On a Mac, it's Command, instead of Ctrl, and the key is next to Ctrl. No stretching.)

Other keyboard shortcuts which require finger-stretching are those defined by the application, so blame the application writer for such failings.

constant unrelenting and often failing updates

Constant updates? I see more nags from Windows 7 requesting updates than I see on the Mac. Of course, applications are free to remind you of updates, too, like Flash, which seems to have a new version every 20 minutes (and which makes the old version unusable). As for failing, please describe a "failing update."

every new version appears to run slower on old hardware than the last,

And that's different from Windows?  And who is forcing you to upgrade?

That said,  OS upgrades to my 2011 MacBook Pro seem to have not had any significant or noticeable performance hits. (The machine also has 16 GB main memory, so the new daemons they add don't make apps swap.) My 2008 Core 2 Duo iMac maxes out at 4 GB, so that's a problem.

And when you notice performance issues with a newly upgraded machine, it might be time to do a clean install of the OS. I recently did that with the iMac. Yosemite killed it. I couldn't figure out why it slowed to a crawl (I suspect the Drobo driver), so I used Time Machine -- something that doesn't exist in Windows -- to revert to 10.9 at the moment I started the upgrade, and the machine was back to fine in about an hour. When 10.11 was released, I tried again, and yeah, no love. So I did a clean install of the OS, and then used the Migration Assistant to restore my applications and user settings, and the machine now runs like a top. I in Logic I can mix 32 channels of audio with tons of plug-ins WHILE laying out a printed circuit board with Kicad and performance is not affected.

and being a programmer I could write a book on code-level issues with both OSX and iOS (there are MANY).

please, write the book, I'd like to read it.

[quote[My work Linux environment (OpenOffice, Maya, Houdini, and other 3D/2D/word processing apps) is managed for me by a large team, so, unless something goes wrong mysteriously, it's great.[/quote]

I'm sure that having a dedicated pro IT staff really does make everything work quite well, and I'm sure that with those apps, you have dedicated rendering machines which are not updated except after the staff as thoroughly tested everything.

unlike my top-specced-3-years ago Mac that's barely useable it feels so incredibly slow).

Send that machine to me. I am glad to take it off of your hands.

I don't understand why people like OSX at all. I've had to work on it for a few years now out of necessity and learn it, but it honestly seems largely nonsensical to me.

Your experience seems to differ from that of a lot of people. But your mileage may vary.

gyraf said:
Atari ST was more stable than the Amiga. And with the external midi box for Notator/Creator (Logic) it had tighter timing than anything today.

As we say here; only the lost is loved forever...  ;D

Jakob E.

The Notator Unitor is still the best SMPTE reader/writer I have ever used that thing was rock solid.

Back