Peavey classic 30 tube amp no sound.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One side of US power is essentially passive, while the hot leg can pick up all kinds of stuff, the UK two phase, both legs are pickup up the same junk 180 deg. out of phase to they should cancel.

Picture posted after I wrote. Caps show no sign of leaking, goo is just to hold them in place and limit any microphonics.
The left cap IS showing the beginnings of leakage where the lead enters the capacitor body.
This is what the infamous Fender Illinois Caps do.

But yes, that yellow stuff is glue to secure the caps, it didn't come out of them.

Last edited:
The left cap IS showing the beginnings of leakage where the lead enters the capacitor body.
This is what the infamous Fender Illinois Caps do.
Zoomed in, still don't see it, brown colored stuff is the adhesive used to secure the component to the board, seen hundreds of amps like this. evidence of heat though as it should be clearer, not so brown. Not all cap failure will show as leakage of electrolyte though, only a real good cap meter can test. Also, these are 85 deg caps so I would generally like to see 105 or higher caps for power supplies. Problem is the best caps are radial packages, not axial. It is possible to shoehorn them in there. but it's not a pretty. Anyone got a preference for a manufacturer of axial caps?

That's a random photo I found of leaking Fender caps, electrolyte starting to come out of where the lead enters the capacitor body, as in the OP's photo.

Much better pic. thanks, you want to always replace these because it kinda spews an electrolytic mist into the amp, and can get on connectors, pots and switches causing them to fail. This one is not too bad, I have seen some with a black field surrounding the cap.

Latest posts

Back