People in Denmark Are Much Happier Than People in the United States. Here’s Why.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
micaddict said:
Anyway, come and take a look in Amsterdam everyone.
I'm not sure what you're implying, but I've noticed that right-wing activists often use Amsterdam as a scarecrow. It seems nothing more terrible could happen to a city than the situation in Amsterdam. I used to go there often, when I had a company there, and still have friends there. To my knowledge, they don't have to wear combat clothes when they go to work or have fun. they have a good social system, and the country is not bankrupt.

ramshackles said:
My personal belief here is that you are equating more money for self == more happiness.  This view is probably stronger in the USA than elsewhere in the world, especially europe and *especially* scandinavia. Everyone has their own opinions on whether this is right or wrong; I won't touch on it here.

That's your spin on it, and I must point out that you did indeed touch on it. Money can mean many things to many people; the means to escape existing debt, to get an education, take better care of family, to build a reserve to enable a desired career change or business or advance an existing one (like recording or making music), or just to have more free time.  There are no objective criteria for happiness.

ramshackles said:
Obviously, finding room for all the bike paths springs to mind, but other projects such as opening up the little river through the centre and the new park in front of the central library and the huge project which was starting when I left - to regenerate the harbour area.
Looking back at the ~5 years I spent there and comparing it to the ~4 years I have been back in the UK, the emphasis on providing a nice environment is staggering.
All those things can be enjoyed by all, regardless of income.

It's hard for people to see their own privilege. While things that are public are available to all in theory, in practice it does not work that way. The working poor and lower working class tend to have occupations and schedules that preclude enjoying those kinds of things, and to be further away from them than others.  Judgmental attitudes and harrassment (small and large, by private individuals or cops/security guards) as well as simple distance and awareness of these things are part of how society prevents people that are poor or ethnic minority from taking advantage of libraries or bike trails in the same way that middle class people do with their time off.

ramshackles said:
My personal belief is that the reason people in Denmark are so happy is not because of the welfare system per se, but of all the public infrastructure I talked about above and the social attitudes of respect that are instilled in people.
Public infrastructure - transport, libraries, swimming pools, bike paths, path paths, gardens, parks, museums, theatres, rubbish bins, recycling, foliage & beautification, benches and general, continuous urban planning and adaptation, can be enjoyed by all and, I believe, greatly enhance quality of life, more than any 10% or so increase in wage.

How about a 30% increase in wage and a 25% discount on everything that you buy ? To live in a country that also has most of the  same public infrastructure that you mention ?

And they are happier becaue they have pølse, while the Americans have hot dog  ;)

Script said:
And they are happier becaue they have pølse, while the Americans have hot dog  ;)

Sausage is called pølse, hot dog is called pølse, but the total "hot dog in a bun" package is called a "hot dog".

Different condiments, though.  ;D

Gustav

ombudsman said:
How about a 30% increase in wage and a 25% discount on everything that you buy ?
Do you mean the US of A? My grandson and their parents are there for vacations; their car has been broken in and whoever did that took his medications. They had to go to the hospital, for a doctor to sign a prescription that is just a copy of the original one: $1200, when it would have cost about $10 in France. So hamburgers may be cheaper there, but it doesn't compensate...

To live in a country that also has most of the  same public infrastructure that you mention ?
Are you saying that seriously? Have you lived in Europe? I bet if you had you wouldn't say that.

abbey road d enfer said:
Do you mean the US of A? My grandson and their parents are there for vacations; their car has been broken in and whoever did that took his medications. They had to go to the hospital, for a doctor to sign a prescription that is just a copy of the original one: $1200, when it would have cost about $10 in France. So hamburgers may be cheaper there, but it doesn't compensate...

I do not defend the current health care system in the US. But the topic is not just about that.

abbey road d enfer said:
Are you saying that seriously? Have you lived in Europe? I bet if you had you wouldn't say that.

I think the assumption among people who are not trying to lob verbal bricks at each other is that anything said that is not funny, is serious.

As I mentioned before on the thread, I have always lived in the US.

Have I missed something ? The list of amenities in Denmark I responded to was "transport, libraries, swimming pools, bike paths, path paths, gardens, parks, museums, theatres, rubbish bins, recycling, foliage & beautification, benches and general, continuous urban planning and adaptation".

I said I have most if not all of those now in my home in the US. Looking at it again, the only one I am not quite sure of is what is meant by "continuous urban planning and adaptation". We have urban planning but I am not clear on what exactly continuous means in that context. And I think it could be better.

So, it seems to me that my point is self evidently true. Let me know if you would care to contest the existence of any of the above.  Or you could browse Google Earth through Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. There are several parks within a mile of my house, bike trails through the parks and bike lanes through the city, and everything else listed. (Side note, I was not aware that benches and rubbish bins were in short supply in wealthy nations.)

Living sounds you miss my point yet again.  But stay happy in your Hegelian fantasies!
Ethnic purity has everything to do with it.  It has nothing to do with cuisine or music. It's a tribal psychology  thing, and the social experimentation is secondary.  How do you think they GOT to their policies?

If the actual policies were all so great for everyone in a country then all would have already passed them into law.
You will get more consensus with a homogenous group.  A country like the US can never be like Denmark, and if we were over 80% ethnic Danes, like 280 million Danes,  then all y'all would totally be our bitches.
Cuba is also "ethnically pure" in their way, but having really cool utopian  policies forced upon them at the point of a gun has not allowed them to, um, collectively forge their desired destiny.
Peace be upon the Danes and their happiness!  I've always been a silver-lining kind of guy, and this study has certainly made me happier.  Thanks for posting :)

ombudsman said:
Have I missed something ? The list of amenities in Denmark I responded to was "transport, libraries, swimming pools, bike paths, path paths, gardens, parks, museums, theatres, rubbish bins, recycling, foliage & beautification, benches and general, continuous urban planning and adaptation".

So, it seems to me that my point is self evidently true. Let me know if you would care to contest the existence of any of the above.  Or you could browse Google Earth through Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. There are several parks within a mile of my house, bike trails through the parks and bike lanes through the city, and everything else listed.
No one would contest the reality of these things. However, you introduced other elements in the comparison, like higher wages and lower prices. So please don't deny others the right to add some ingredients to the comparison list, like free education, way cheaper health system, unemployment protection, protection against destitution, healthier food, better management of work hours and vacations, daycare,.. These are enough to tilt the balance.
Believe me, I love the USA, but I'm glad I'm only a half-citizen of them.

abbey road d enfer said:
No one would contest the reality of these things. However, you introduced other elements in the comparison, like higher wages and lower prices. So please don't deny others the right to add some ingredients to the comparison list, like free education, way cheaper health system, unemployment protection, protection against destitution, healthier food, better management of work hours and vacations, daycare,.. These are enough to tilt the balance.

Again, the context here was ramshackle specifically naming public infrastructure as a key factor for him. I was replying to that. The argument that those things as the result of higher taxes make it worthwhile is not a strong argument given that I have those things with much lower taxes.

Sure you can introduce whatever you like in a general overall comparison, but as far as that exchange is concerned, you are changing the subject, which can be read as conceding the point.

Latest posts

Back