Phantom power blocker for synth outputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why on earth would he have done that? To what possible advantage?

In those days, phantom was rarely required. It was a bit of an afterthought. Phantom power is a very poor design concept and I suspect Rupert knew it. In any case most condenser mics were tube based and came with their own power supply. Dynamics were often used for snare and guitar cabs. Ribbons were rarely used.
A really rough way for people to find out they had a ribbon mic with faulty wiring! But hot-plugging also NOT recommended for most condenser mics either (?!).
If some fool wires a mic wrongly you can hardly blame phantom power for that. The real lesson is not that phantom is bad, but that you should take more care wiring your ribbons.

Cheers

Ian

What I would personally do in that situation, and the cheapest way (for Free) to be protected would be to dedicate some channels of the mixer for Line Inputs and in those channels I would remove (desolder) one leg of the 390r resistor after the 48V switch.
I would desolder one leg of it from the PCB and put heatshrink tube around it so that it could be reversed back to stock easily in the future in case needed.
This way you don't need any DI boxes, you don't need to spend money on DI boxes, you are protected from phantom power because it's not reaching the input anylonger, and don't forget that besides the Line inputs you can still use those channels for Dynamic microphones in case you need to use the Mic Pres

I not saying this is the only solution, or the best of all solution, other people might have much better ideas,
I'm just saying that this would be what I would do in a pinch in the situation you described

View attachment 137747

Many Output sections and output IC's have phantom power protection,
but not all have, and we never know which ones are protected and the ones that aren't...
So the best thing to do is to never send Phantom power into a Line level output.
People that are not well versed on Bantam Patchbays do that mistake easilly all the time.
Could it also be possible to move the legs of the 6.8ks to M1 or M2 (pre switch) so that it only affects the input you’d like to use with microphones, if that is the case that one is being connected to synths continuously? Or is that still too risky
Would there be a risk of spikes when switching between inputs still…
S

Back