[pix] [finished] Germanium Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing work! Congratulations.
And yes, please show us more stuff from your work.

It would be great to have an all germanium pre project,but with available and affordable components,
like a "germanium for everyone" type of project.

Yup!!!! VERSTARKUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Beavis????French FLY's?????)
LOOKS SWEET!!!
People, EXCELLENT work!
I very like BA-71's too...Actually, the only germanium is 404 transistor, but amplification
and sweet distortion comes from here. BA'71's used 2 kinds of TONLEITUNGSUBERTAGGER's
at the output, allways liked version with output trunny without any markings on it-
very sweet, "metallic" hi-mid coloration...

Impressed!!!

Not sure about why no schematic to see, but if this is what I think it is then it's the 6 transistor all germanium transistor circuit ba-71a and some or other ver of the ba-31.  The UTC inputs are a sweet input and also sound great on the input of any good design looking for 1:3.2 aprox. I found lower gain on the NTE replacements but nice smooth sound.

Yep, Hitchhikers schematic is the BA-71A.  The 31/71 'B' and 'C' versions go to silicon PP output rather than germanium PPP output.

Here's my history piece:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2867.msg180431#msg180431

That is soooo cool. It's like a "German" anium preamp!

ehrfürchtig and Das is Gut. Sorry for my crappy German! My Dad is from germany and I only had 3 years of german in high school.

But real nice job done on that. Congrats!

hello,

this looks like a really nice project!
thanks for sharing those nice pics and the schematic.
i have almost all parts i need and hope to find some time to build some channels pretty soon.
does anybody have some infos about the haufe output transformer?
i have a lot of iron from old gear lying around and hope to find something usable for this design.

Christian

I'm doing a pcb layout for a Germanium preamp here....i found 2 transistors out of 3 locally....but still missing this...2N3391A.

Anyone here knows where can i find it?

Thanks.

3nity said:
I'm doing a pcb layout for a Germanium preamp here....i found 2 transistors out of 3 locally....but still missing this...2N3391A.

Anyone here knows where can i find it?

Thanks.
Are you designing PCB based on the modified schematics or original one? Huh, I love the sound of BA's  :)

Alright....so wheres the original schematic...using ASY26??
i just checked the stock in my local supply and they got it surplus...

Thanks for additional info Kubi. Also, did you evaluated the PCB board for this project or you ended with proto? It's possible that project is sensitive to layout arrangement (not sure) . Also, Is the schematics on your site 100%  correct?

Back