Please Help - Phantom power problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

Before reading farther: Should pin 1 of the XLR mic input be connected to the chassis ground. From the looks of the schematic it should connect to the chassis & input tranny grounds (Core & secondary GND) Right now I only have pin 1 to the circuit ground, where the input tranny is connected but the circuit ground FLOATs from the chassis. Would this cause the problem below?

I just finished a mic pre & the phantom power seems to be flipping the phase but only with condencer mics when compaired to a store bought pre. Dynamics mics seem to be phase correct.

This it on a PM1000 rack job.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14629

I was doing a shootout between the PM1000 & a Presonus MP20:
with a 57 they both sounded similar(phase wize) but the PM blew it away.

When I tested with a U87 the PM1000 sounded funny so I fliped the phase switch & it sounded great. The Presonus sounded normal WITHOUT the phase switched :? But when I did switch it on the Presonus it sounded EXACTLY like the PM1000 when it was sounding bad.

Confussed?
It's fine with dynamics & backwards with condensers :?:

Please help. This thing is done besides this issue :!:

PM1000---48v-input.jpg

Does this seem right that the 48v goes into the center-tap then has to go thru the switch which has several different paths & resistance for each... I'd think it would change the current the mic is receiving?

Kevin

Phantom Power should go direct to the mic input connector via 2x 6.81k resistors. I don't really understand the schematic you put but phantom should not go through the Gain switch.
And your circuit ground should connect to the chassis at one point only.

Latest posts

Back