Presonus 6-way connector cable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisyIndividual

Hi, I have no experience whatsoever of sourcing connectors, but can anyone tell me what this connector is called so I can at least start looking for something?

Its from a Presonus StudioLive desk and this one has failed on multiple crimp connectors, which is weird.

Attachments

• Presonus connector.jpg
    Presonus connector.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
what this connector is called

I think the generic term would be something like latching wire to PCB connector, or latching cable to board connector, some term similar to that.
In the days of the ancients you could find that style from all of the big US based manufacturers like Molex, Amphenol, FCI, etc. I'm not sure how many of those are still making that style of low cost connectors these days.
That link Khron is probably as good a place as any to start.

this one has failed on multiple crimp connectors, which is weird.

That sounds like a crimping tool was out of adjustment. If you have multiple wires failed in a single connector I would not be surprised to find that there was an entire batch of devices with similar problems (devices made in the same shift/day/week). Those kinds of connections tend to be very consistent and reliable with the caveat that the tool settings have to be precise and stable. Once the tool is set incorrectly you will get a lot of very consistent unreliable connections.

Farnell sell the crimps alone so I have ordered 25.
Didn't really fancy having to order 100 shells, so will just reuse the wire and restuff these.
The crimps failed by losing their springiness and not making good contacts with the pins.
The worst one actually broke off when I manipulated it.
Not sure how that could happen, maybe it was a Friday afternoon when they were made.

The crimps failed by losing their springiness and not making good contacts with the pins.
The worst one actually broke off when I manipulated it.

Had that happen with some of the speaker connectors in my Tannoy Precision 6D's, a while ago.

Well here's a thing, the crimps in this connector seem to have fractures right at the end where they curve round.
Don't think this has been caused by the crimping process?

And also it turns out this IS actually a well known Presonus thing, the desks will suddenly emit a loud Pop and lose all audio.
Not very handy in the middle of a show.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8360

Attachments

• PresonusCrimp.jpg
    PresonusCrimp.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231119-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20231119-WA0000.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back