Printer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...good timing.  When I moved here 5 years ago, I had a low end Brother mono laser printer.  I am not a "print everything" kinda guy (typically capture interesting stuff into a PDF).  Two or three years ago, print quality wandered  out the window, but I kept limping along for my own purposes. 

Eventually checked, and I need both a new toner cartridge AND a transfer drum.  Combined prices are waay more than I paid for the Brother originally.  But, I got maybe 8+ years of semi-low volume usage.

Once in awhile having a color print is handy.  Last year a friend "gifted" me a HP C3180 "Photosmart" printer with new black and tri-color cartridges.  Within a few dozen pages, the black cart is gone....$35 at Office Max.

Suggestions for a semi-retired techie (who kinda misses his ancient  Okidata dot matrix...lol...just kidding )  ???

Bri

Forgot to mention something else.

My "old" setup included a HP 4300C flatbed scanner, which delivered awesome quality scans (slooowly!) from ancient books/texts/etc.

From time to time I used the 4300C and the Brother printer as a copying machine with my Olde WIN98/ WIN XP setups.

That 4300C scanner has no drivers for anything newer than Win XP.

The  Photosmart that was "gifted" to me  is an "all in one", but I never got the scanner to work (copier function works) with my newer Win 10 machine.

So, I fire up my Olde XP laptop along with the Olde HP scanner..scan...and USB "sneaker-net" into year 2019.

Grrrr....

Bri

I've had a HP Laserjet Pro M281fdw All in One, $330, for almost 3 months now. With a couple Win7 machines, though it claims Win10. It works well. It is not eating much ink. Scans are very good (I have not pushed the limits). It is reasonably quick for a SOHO machine. Small screen is not too small for aging eyes. It has a few simple tricks, like scan to a thumb-drive in a socket in the printer front.

One complaint: it will do WiFi *OR* EtherNet, not both at the same time. (Stupid.) Since I am a wire-guy I use the wire.

Interestingly, you can still buy a Oki dot printer, at the same price I paid for color laser with scan.

Latest posts

Back