Profile Output Transformer 4804

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Gary! Looks awesome. What is with this rumor mill? It's starting to f*ck with my emotions.
nuts.gif

[quote author="kato"][quote author="CJ"]the 2503 is flat from dc out to 4 meg with no phase shift or ringing.
very sterile, not like regular transformer.[/quote]

No phase shift, no ringing? Sounds like the ideal transformer.
Sterile? Might be a good thing in this case.
The 312 is known for bringing the balls. I wonder where the sound comes from? That crappy op-amp? :)

How is one still to understand this TX is important for the sound of those mic-pre's ? :roll:
If an unbalanced-out is fine the you should be able to get the same sound then ? Obviously it isn't, but how could it be ? The DOA acting differntly with/without ?

[quote author="gar381"]Mike at Profile told me that there is no truth to the rumors...
The 4804 is not in production....D***MN !!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

GARY[/quote]
I asked:
Do you hava a clue when they will be available?
A couple of months or a couple of years?

He replyed:
I'm hoping no more than 2 months. Damn lawyers!

So, is he spreading the rumors himself.
Well, right now there is no production, thats true.
But in a couple of months there hopefully will be.

HT

[quote author="Greg"]Man I've got the worst case of transformer blue balls... ouch !!![/quote]

Uh, oh. By inductive reasoning (so sorry), that means those of us who have wound our own have been masturbating! :roll:

A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]Uh, oh. By inductive reasoning (so sorry), that means those of us who have wound our own have been masturbating! :roll:[/quote]

Actually, CJ wound my coil for me... I don't even want to think about what that means... :oops:

Peace,
Al.

Fabio wrote after his first experiences with the different output options that he was very pleased with an opa2604 solution...
So waiting for a profile re-release might be not really necessary (?) :?
However, the input trafo might be a greater challenge to obtain, i guess...(ok, CJ dissected one :grin: )

Am i right?

Kind regards

Martin

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="kato"][quote author="CJ"]the 2503 is flat from dc out to 4 meg with no phase shift or ringing.
very sterile, not like regular transformer.[/quote]

No phase shift, no ringing? Sounds like the ideal transformer.
Sterile? Might be a good thing in this case.
The 312 is known for bringing the balls. I wonder where the sound comes from? That crappy op-amp? :)

How is one still to understand this TX is important for the sound of those mic-pre's ? :roll:
If an unbalanced-out is fine the you should be able to get the same sound then ? Obviously it isn't, but how could it be ? The DOA acting differntly with/without ?[/quote]

Well the low end still distorts like an M6 core should. And all this testing is steady state (feed a sine or square wave in and measure/look at it). People like APIs for toms, no? Not steady state, but big banging impulses. Perhaps there's something about the DOA interacting with the reactive load during transients that provides some of the sound. How do we really objectively measure this stuff? :?:

A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]...People like APIs for toms, no?[/quote]
All my buddies in Nashvegas use them mostly for acoustic instruments. :shock:

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]Shows how much I know :oops: <slinks away from computer>[/quote]No, ha ha - I meant it like in addition to drums. :grin: It stands to reason I guess, since they are both percussive instruments.

:roll: <slinks back to computer> You must be from the Neil Young school of acoustic guitar. :grin: I guess the percussive/dynamic thing holds for many acoustic (stringed) instruments as well. Maybe if I spent less time surfing and more time soldering/drilling I'd have a couple to try out for myself...

A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]Well the low end still distorts like an M6 core should. And all this testing is steady state (feed a sine or square wave in and measure/look at it). People like APIs for toms, no? Not steady state, but big banging impulses. Perhaps there's something about the DOA interacting with the reactive load during transients that provides some of the sound. [/quote]
You're right, tests are a very special case of music.

How do we really objectively measure this stuff? :?:

A P
Ears, ultimately. But whose ? :wink:

[quote author="clintrubber"]
You're right, tests are a very special case of music.[/quote]

Right, Theremin music is well covered by the tests...

A P

I plan to test mine using, uh, mine. How about you? :grin:

I do think it would be interesting to more subjectively capture the transient response of all these toys for comparison. Something like a musical impulse response--repeatable quickly decaying thwack as input. A cheap pulse generator gating a standard test oscillator might work.

A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"][quote author="clintrubber"]
You're right, tests are a very special case of music.[/quote]

Right, Theremin music is well covered by the tests...
[/quote] :grin:

A P

I plan to test mine using, uh, mine. How about you? :grin:
I'll think about sending you my Theremini, but those ears stay here :wink:

I do think it would be interesting to more subjectively capture the transient response of all these toys for comparison. Something like a musical impulse response--repeatable quickly decaying thwack as input. A cheap pulse generator gating a standard test oscillator might work.

A P
That's naughty. I mean, next thing you'll be asking is to get impulse responses at various levels and after that you're spotted selling a VST-plugin that mimics an API-micpre :twisted:

But serious, yes, impulse-like signals would be more suited.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]You must be from the Neil Young school of acoustic guitar. :grin:[/quote]
Ha ha, no, not that percussive. But even when played softly, acoustic instruments have this huge attack, then the volume drops way down before settling at the "sustain" volume. API type pres just seem to make this effect more musically pleasing somehow - at least in the context of bluegrass type music. I guess it gives it that "old school" sound or something.

Maybe if I spent less time surfing and more time soldering/drilling I'd have a couple to try out for myself...
Join the club, my friend. I'd be willing to bet lots of us suffer from that disease, lol! I don't have all that much time for diy myself ? just going by what they tell me and what I hear. It really surprised me because I figured they were using Millennias, Avalons or something like that.

[quote author="clintrubber"]That's naughty. I mean, next thing you'll be asking is to get impulse responses at various levels and after that you're spotted selling a VST-plugin that mimics an API-micpre :twisted:

But serious, yes, impulse-like signals would be more suited.
[/quote]

Ssssshhh! You'll blow my cover! :cool: Being an image processing guy, the whole impulse response thing does have its appeal. However, solder is still my favorite programming language.

I would like to spend a little time exploring the musical impulse idea. I can think of a few possible things to try. My (incomplete) ASM-1 modular synth might make a nice signal generator, or at least signal modulator, for such tests... :roll: I just have all these suspicions about longer time constant effects like thermal tails in the DOA, mechanical vibration in the coil, magnetic domains flailing about, etc. and what they might do to affect "the sound."

[quote author="Flatpicker"]Join the club, my friend. [/quote]
I've been a card carrying member of DIY Anonymous (motto: tot facio, tantillus vicis) for a couple of decades now! I also have the packrat gene--a deadly combination.

A P

Guys, I'm sorry about the confusion. I promise Alan did say they were available again. :?

I just emailed him directly to get the ultimate word (Alan is the actual owner of Profile, Mike runs the factory). Hopefully Alan knows something Mike does not about the whole deal and simply hasn't filled him in yet.

Alan's a pretty quick responder, usually, so hopefully I'll have something definite very soon.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Peace,

JC

Latest posts

Back