Pultec Mid section (MeQ) filter board question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miszt

i'd like to add a mid section to my PQD2, in a separate unit, and i wondered how I might go about joining the 2 together, i was thinking that rather than connect the output of PQD2 filter board to the io/power board, i might be able to connect it to the MeQ filter board, and then connect the mid section to the io/power board of the PQD2

...or is there more to it than that? I'd like to avoid having to buy a whole new set of LL4502's and power supply if possible, but i don't mind fiddling with a few resistors if necessary, has anyone done this?

anything thing i should take into consideration? has anyone done this before?

I actually only want a single band of Mid, although 2 would of course be more useful, actually i only want to add 700Hz, 1Khz, 1.2Kz and 1.5Khz (and with a smaller range of Atten/Boost settings)

as part of a different discussion, Gustav pointed out that because the filter board is passive, it does not load the gain stage at all, so then it seems like a mid board would work as described above?

miszt said:
Gustav pointed out that because the filter board is passive, it does not load the gain stage at all

It seems like I did not get the intention of that particular message across clearly, so Ill try to elaborate.

You were asking if the filter board needed to be fitted to adjust the high voltage supply with a drop resistor, and I told you it didn't matter, since the passive filter puts no load on the high voltage supply.

Gustav

Gustav said:
miszt said:
Gustav pointed out that because the filter board is passive, it does not load the gain stage at all

It seems like I did not get the intention of that particular message across clearly, so Ill try to elaborate.

You were asking if the filter board needed to be fitted to adjust the high voltage supply with a drop resistor, and I told you it didn't matter, since the passive filter puts no load on the high voltage supply.

Gustav

ah ok, thanks for clarifying, doesn't answer the question I'm asking here tho lol can a mid band be inserted straight into the path between the main filter board and the gain stage? (without having to alter the main filter board?)

No, you can't simply chain two filter boards together since every board will introduce a certain loss of gain which has to be compensated by a following gain stage.
If you have only one gain stage at the end, you would have to rise the gain up to a level where it can compensate both filter boards but that is not possible with the current design.

Back