Purusha S800 4U case assembly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Siegfried Meier said:
Hello?  Seems like the IEC has been punched the wrong way - sideways.  They fit that way, but then putting in the left screw hole appears to be problematic.  And what switch was this designed for?  I can't find any with this size.  Would have preferred either just a hole or nothing for this personally.

Also, all the holes in the front panel appear to need redrilling - the holes have been painted and therefore the pots, which fit quite tight, won't turn properly and bind.  Can we confirm this?  That's a lot of holes...

These switches fit:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=060-405

I've actually got an extra - PM me and I'll send it to you donkey-express USPS-style.  Or just go without.

My holes seem to be fine.  The pots don't seem to bind at all, although I haven't tried them all.  It might be easier to take a little sand paper to the  shafts.
I'm trying to figure the order of assembly - I guess I'll complete, test and calibrate 1 channel at a time.  Then I can work from one end to the other and try to get my wire lengths right. 
It seems that the last thing to go on will be the front panel.

Also, I managed to get some bigger heat-sinks on my regulators and still keep them on the PSU with some creative bending.
I haven't tried an IEC yet as my order got screwed up - should be here tomorrow.

Guys,

Purusha's mounting brackets don't work... they cause the PCB's to extend beyond the height of the rack and in case anyone hasn't noticed, go over the hold for the 3DPT toggle switch... not great engineering...

I'm not sure Sintech, stuff the PCB's in box approach is the best/safest option... I'm working on a work around that seems to be working great... will do a photo pictorial when I'm done.

Cheers

Matt

Siegfried Meier said:
What IEC connector and power switch were you intending to go into this??  I can't find anything that remotely fits, and I'd rather not hack this thing up.  Do you have part numbers for what you ordered and made these holes for??

In his defense (not sure why I'm jumping to his defense... ::) ), but if it's anything like the holes in the back of the 1176 pushbutton cases I ordered from him (I don't have his S800 case), I found that this fits pretty good, and it's got a fuse holder built-in. Just check the data sheet dimensions and the hole's dimensions before ordering...

fazeka said:
Siegfried Meier said:
What IEC connector and power switch were you intending to go into this??  I can't find anything that remotely fits, and I'd rather not hack this thing up.  Do you have part numbers for what you ordered and made these holes for??

In his defense (not sure why I'm jumping to his defense... ::) ), but if it's anything like the holes in the back of the 1176 pushbutton cases I ordered from him (I don't have his S800 case), I found that this fits pretty good, and it's got a fuse holder built-in. Just check the data sheet dimensions and the hole's dimensions before ordering...

Had no problems locating the IEC and Power switch here either, both could be had from my local electronic store.

Matt

matta said:
Purusha's mounting brackets don't work... they cause the PCB's to extend beyond the height of the rack and in case anyone hasn't noticed, go over the hold for the 3DPT toggle switch... not great engineering...

I only used the rear brackets - I figured with all those wires I would never be able to get a bolt in there anyway.  I also drilled out the mounting hole in the PCB just a little so that when the bracket was screwed on the PCB would sit flush to the bottom of the chassis.

for me the single bracket is the only way it would work.  Some of the cards in the middle sit more diagonally, giving them enough clearance for the pots and switches. 

I feel like this thing is an exploding can of worms, as there are so many wires in there.  I don't think I'll ever do another project with so much stuff mounted off the PCBs.  I don't even know if I'll ever want to solder anything again.

Latest posts

Back