Pushbutton bypass for GSSL ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="SIXTYNINER"]ALSO GOOD FOR POWER ON-OFF?[/quote]
Only for POWER OFF :wink: (or you put a battery inside your box to switch the relay to ON status when power is off)

[quote author="SSLtech"]Relay bypass is usually for "hard-bypass" signal switching... I'm not really a fan for this purpose, (see Volker's signature! :wink:) but I use a pushbutton switch and a two-pole changeover relay... -Although this is NOT a bypass, -it's a compression 'enable' button, and I do think it's fairly important to distinguish between the two terminologies... -I'm assuming that this is what you are in fact looking for...?

You'll have to do something similar if you want the button to light up... a two-pole won't do, since you need two poles to enable/disable the compression (one pole mutes the sidechain signal, the other pole disconnects the makeup gain so that it has no effect... check the schematic and it'll all make sense...)

What I do is to mount a small PCB relay right there on the board with some short stiff wire going right from the relay pins to the holes in the board, then I simply sneak a wire from the nearby 12V and ground (which feed the 'power on' LED via a 1k resistor) to the switch, and use a 1k resistor to limit power to an LED inside the switch, from the switched output.... which also feeds the relay.

Hope that makes sense, but it's the correct way unless you can find a 3-pole EAO switch (possible to find, but easily approaching fifty of your earth quid!!!, or nearly a hundred Martian dollars!)

Myself I use the later 9000-series SSL pushbuttons, which can be had locally for about ten bucks, and come with LEDs already fitted inside them. -The version which I use has a removable clear plastic cap, which allows me to mount a printed label INSIDE the switch, which is then illuminated when the LED comes on... MUCH more cost-effective than having the cap engraved, and looks more or less the same.

...Oh, if you'd really like both a relay and a switch, I can send one to you, but the switch is not QUITE the same appearance as the older SSL E and G series... I don't know if you're looking for an exact match or not?

Keith[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but if you have time is it possible that you or anyone else could do a diagram of what you are describing, as I'm finding it really difficult to work out exactly what you mean just from reading. I'd be really grateful.

It's exactly what I wish to do to my GSSL and am at a loss for what to do with switches.

Thanks,

Dave

Ok, so is there no way this switch can JUST be used as a switch? Let's forget about power to the light. Does the switch need power even to simply operate as a switch?

Thanks,
Sig

Since there are several things that need to be switched simultaneously, you won't be able to use just a SPDT switch - unless it is to switch a voltage to operate relays or something similar (like FET's).
The original SSL circuit uses FET's to do the switching and the EAO switch just changes the voltage on their gates.

Sorry Sig.
Not trying to promote my pcb's.
I'm not actually doing any more.
I was simply suggesting that you use your EAO switch to operate a relay which can do the necessary signal switching.
You could knock it up on a piece of veroboard.
(A +24v. sub-min relay with a few components).

Ya, I'm aware you're not doing them, I was hoping you or someone else had some that they weren't using. I've read over the stuff on how to breadboard one a million times and just don't get it. Therefore, I'd prefer to buy an actual board that does it. I'll find one yet...

Any chances I can get more info on that?
I am trying to find a way to have a relay switching for GSSL that I could build on veroboard... But I am having hard time getting some proper informations...
Can you please expand on your build, and /or point me to a schematic?
Thanks in advance
Thomas

joe-electro said:
True, balanced bypass:
BalancedBypass.jpg

Sorry for the crappy, hand-drawn schematic.

GSSL_RelayBoard-2.jpg

Four DIP relays go in the sockets.

---Joe

Hi folks,,,

too old topic indeed...  but hey i have today the same problem. Complete my Gssl
The Bypass british type button (Don Audio) does is always on. Push it or not is always on. So i'm looking for a solution and find this topic . I read Keith's post about a relay and i'm interesting to that. Any ideas

Thank you

Hello,
I am new here and I need support.
I build the gssl kit from PCB grinders together with the super side chain PCB.
And i want use the push buttons from Don Audio.
Now I didn’t know how I should wiring these both together with the PCBs.
I found in the internet different pictures but all are not fully clear for me.
Can you help me? Many thanks

Back