Quad Sound Skulptor Tape Simulator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only listened on my pretty average hi fi set up and was definitely subtle to me (might change in my studio setup)

However - really liking that subtle difference on the whole mix. Really nice.

That song sounds like it will be cool too - a tiny bit like ratatat.

Thanks for posting the clips.

Neat, def subtle.  I really dig the 7.5ips!

Did you get a chance to compare this to the Neve Portico?  Really curious as to which one you think is better.

Thanks,
Sig

wow!!  i would n't call that subtle.  i'm a complete novice and i dont trust my ears to be as good as someone who records daily for a living but i could hear that plain as day.i really expected not much of a difference. nowi need to head over to the web site to check out prices for this project.
was n't someone here trying to develope a similar project?????

On my HD600 headphones, the difference is there, though I wouldn't call it amazing or night and day. But I would have a similar comment on a good 1176 plugin emulation vs the real hardware..

I compared the samples with some tape saturation plgs and must say that SSTS works for me ;) I remember the "magnetics" days and I used a lot of different tape recorders so  let's say that I know what I'm looking for. I like URS saturation plg but SSTS is way closer to the original, especially in the low end. Just my 0.2c  ;D

I'm thinking of building a few of these for tracking. You know, do it like in the old days, hit the tape after EQ&comp kind of thing. And before A/D.

dandeurloo said:
Here we go guys.  I uploaded the zip files of the sound samples.

http://dandeurloo.com/diy/Sound Skulptor Tape Sim/SSTS clips.zip

Thanks Pieter for doing the samples!

They sound good.  Not night and day but in small amounts it sounds pretty great.
I think the samples would be better if the levels were the same. It gives the illusion of the SSTS as a maximizer than anything else.

It would be great if there was a sample with individual tracks done through the SSTS and then mixed to form a stereo sample. Then you would be able to see the cumulative effect the SSTS can do if applied.

canidoit said:
I think the samples would be better if the levels were the same. It gives the illusion of the SSTS as a maximizer than anything else.

It would be great if there was a sample with individual tracks done through the SSTS and then mixed to form a stereo sample. Then you would be able to see the cumulative effect the SSTS can do if applied.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Do you mean processed and unprocessed, left and right of a stereo sample? 

All the samples are normalized. Even the different samples in one clip are individually normalized. This to me is the only way to create a sort of reference. Of course distorted always sounds louder and louder always (well often) sounds better. But that's part of why we distort isn't it?  ;)

Hank Dussen said:
canidoit said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Do you mean processed and unprocessed, left and right of a stereo sample? 

All the samples are normalized. Even the different samples in one clip are individually normalized. This to me is the only way to create a sort of reference. Of course distorted always sounds louder and louder always (well often) sounds better. But that's part of why we distort isn't it?  ;)
What I mean, is that like with a 24 track 2 inch tape machine, people would track their instruments to the 24 track to make the song. That's why I think tape sounds great when you actually do that to individual tracks than only the stereo mix alone.

Same for SSTS. Maybe track 24 tracks with it for a song and hear the results when mixed into stereo.

As for normalized, I meant, adjust the samples so they sound the same level. A track with distortion recorded can still sound like a track with distortion even at the same levels as the others.

Hmm, 24 tracks version would be great but I'm afraid I have a dayjob as well  :D
Well not really, I'm a musician  ;D ;D ;D

But you're right about taping individual tracks.
I Could, just for the fun, make a mix with all the tracks individually going though the SSTS.
Maybe next week.

I'm still not happy with the hum tough.
I'm gonna try powering it up with a different PSU. Would it be a problem to connect a different PSU to the +15 and -15 points with the stock PSU (unpowered of course) still on the PCB?

Or maybe even connect it where the unregulated power of the transfo enters the PCB? I believe somewhere in the GSSL threat it was noted that this would not be a problem. Regulating already regulated power?

If your are absolutely sure that the hum does not come from transformer radiations (I have seen this problem before), then it must come from a badly regulated PSU. What is the voltage on the transformer secondary? Is it high enough to let the regulators work properly?

ChrioN said:
I'm not sure I heard any differences at all.
this is the type of effect that should be used with discretion. on the 2nd set of samples that is how its used.
listen to the first,"boring looped" sample.
the amount of effect increases gradually from the beginning till the end of the sample. the difference from the beginning to the end is not subtle.
sounds like the unit is capable of a generous range from subtle to apparent.

Latest posts

Back