Quality Single Or Dual Channel AD/DA?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

I think there was a DIY one at one point, looking for something single or dual channel that i can use in place of my El Cheapo Delta 2496. Using a pc with Presonus Studio One, diy or purchase.
Any suggestions...
Vikki(uk) :)

If you're not averse to a little DIY, the most price-competitive way to obtain A-D / D-A converters that are truly world-class is to buy evaluation boards from the chip-makers and rack them with PSUs. Wolfson, TI, Cirrus-Logic etc - they all make eval boards to show off their chips. And they tend to lay the PCBs out well and fit decent analogue buffers, for obvious reasons.

Failing that, if you don't have the appetite for DIY, my suggestion would be to try and find a Lynx secondhand via the usual sources.

thermionic said:
If you're not averse to a little DIY, the most price-competitive way to obtain A-D / D-A converters that are truly world-class is to buy evaluation boards from the chip-makers and rack them with PSUs. Wolfson, TI, Cirrus-Logic etc - they all make eval boards to show off their chips. And they tend to lay the PCBs out well and fit decent analogue buffers, for obvious reasons.

Failing that, if you don't have the appetite for DIY, my suggestion would be to try and find a Lynx secondhand via the usual sources.

Are the clocks on those also good?

If you do so take major care on the PS, good filtering and regulation. Linear if possible, and care with routing, the spikes on the rectifier and first cap could be an issue if they find a way to the board.

JS

Check out Mytek... generally rated as on-par with or better than Prism, Benchmark, etc.

https://mytekdigital.com/professional/

Stereo96 or Stereo192 should do the job. VintageKing carries them.

I got one of this and does a great job, once holes are marked you can nail the holes where you want, even in really bad conditions, much easier than the simple ones, where you need to move the piece or the table. It needed a couple of tweaks to make it more rigid and stable, nothing fancy, a couple of teflon rings so screws could be more tight and still roll easy, help to the handles or they get loose, as well as a couple of screws on the rails, it doesn't work with the precision of a mill, but it works to do some not round holes in aluminum, with the proper bit, for 19" front panels that may be useful, 3 or 4 passes and you have it done. Also if you need a bunch of hole in a line you add a rail at the side and roll the panel over it, then only use the corresponding axis to get ir right on the spot, with the other axis fixed as it has some screws to do so. I find it pretty useful. I've only spent about $200 (which is 1/10th of a proper mill here) in the whole rig, probably less than in bits, which are quite expensive for the good ones, and lucky me we do some really good ones here in the country, I got some from Italy and Germany and aren't as good as locals for a mile, not to talk about the ones from China. There you should expend some bucks but you probably have many already, you would need some with the proper shape to do oval holes.

iu28.png

JS

joaquins said:
thermionic said:

Given that they're clocked by oscillators (no PLLs or word-clock sync), yeah, they're good.

-a

Andy Peters said:
joaquins said:
thermionic said:

Given that they're clocked by oscillators (no PLLs or word-clock sync), yeah, they're good.

-a

There was the trap, no WC, still looks like a nice option for a good quality stereo sound card. I'll have it in mind if I wan't to build a on-the-road vox recorder... Thanks for the recommendation.

JS

Back