Question about Power Transformer wiring: (fuse, IEC, Switch)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmgull

Hello,

I've spent the past hour searching the transformer meta with no luck, sorry if I missed something.

I'm building a Green pre as my first project. I ordered my power supply and power transformer from Five Fish Audio here:

http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php/PSU-2448mk2-Kit.html

http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php/1U-Power-Transformer-Kit.html

I have the board populated, and connected to the transformer. I'm just a bit confused as to how to wire things on the other side of the transformer (such as main on/off switch/ IEC jack, fuse holder. I'm in North America so the wall voltage is 115-120v.

The model number for the transformer is: Y236104

Is there a generic diagram I can use for reference here? Any info would be appreciated. As excited as I am to finish, I'm from the world of stompboxes where mistakes don't electrocute you. That being the case, I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable than myself to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

Ian

You should be able to copy a primary wiring schematic from any one of many products, but be very careful.  There are actually UL rules about spacing between primary circuitry and other conductors. In some cases double insulation is required. I think they even specify double nuts on safety ground mechanical connections.

In real manufacturing they do Hi-pot(?) tests, before powering up any units. The DIY version of this is use a sensitive ohmmeter to confirm there is no connection between either hot blade of the line cord plug to chassis or circuitry. Also confirm that the impedance between the two line cord blades are not a dead short. 

I have had technicians wire up transformers backwards which didn't turn out well. If you are at all uncertain of what you are doing get some one to check your work and help you. This is the part of this hobby that could kill someone.

JR

Latest posts

Back