Question to the Pro Mixing Engineers: OH mics with switchable HPF?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
A quick question for the pro mixing engineers (live and studio) here. What do you think, is it advantageous to equip microphones that are planned to be used as overheads with a multiple switchable HPF or do you generally do this on the mixing console or in the DAW?

If so, which low cut frequencies would be useful in addition to a full bandwidth mode?

I generally don't use HPF on the mic, it's much easier to control on the mic pre / mixing console.

I might be wrong but i don't see any benefit in cutting low frequencies this early in the signal path, it's not as if the mic cable could overload, especially with overheads which should not capture too much low frequency content anyway.

Bests

Thomas

I pad and filter at the mic because I am often using my Altec 9470 preamps on the overheads and they have a fixed gain. They definitely saturate differently when unfiltered. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes it's a bit much.

Latest posts

Back