Quick Question - Soldering Iron?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esoterimix

I'm looking for an okay soldering iron... Maybe this isn't the best place to post, but let me know... Thanks.

Okay, so I've been limping through a couple projects for lack of decent soldering iron, and namely a decent desoldering iron.

I really don't have a lot to spend, so general specs would probably be the best place to start.

What is a good temperature?
Is ceramic tip better for electronics?
Is it worth getting a station?
Are there any good desoldering pump/irons in one package?

I've heard the vacuums don't work the best and I'm working on a 5Fish SC1 at the moment - I'm stuck because I can't clear the the wholes they are small through holes that are plated. Not an easy task with a solder wick, trying to clear that tiny space and the pcb itself seems relatively thick compared to some. I would really appreciate any help I can get! Thanks...

I like these. Vacuum desoldering tools work fine if you have a vice to keep PCB steady.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52022.msg666624#msg666624

Esoterimix said:
I'm looking for an okay soldering iron... Maybe this isn't the best place to post, but let me know... Thanks.

Okay, so I've been limping through a couple projects for lack of decent soldering iron, and namely a decent desoldering iron.

I really don't have a lot to spend, so general specs would probably be the best place to start.

What is a good temperature?

I use 700 degree (F) tips with my Metcal SP200. Not a problem at all with lead-free solder, even on ground planes.

Is ceramic tip better for electronics?

No. I don't think you can even get a ceramic tip for electronics work. The standard tips I use are quite small.

Is it worth getting a station?

If by "station" you mean something with a handle/tip separate from the power supply, then YES ABSOLUTELY.

And you want something that actually controls the temperature AT THE TIP. A dial that sets the "temperature" isn't sufficient.

Are there any good desoldering pump/irons in one package?

I'm a Metcal/OKI fanboy but that kit is not cheap.

I've heard the vacuums don't work the best and I'm working on a 5Fish SC1 at the moment - I'm stuck because I can't clear the the wholes they are small through holes that are plated. Not an easy task with a solder wick, trying to clear that tiny space and the pcb itself seems relatively thick compared to some. I would really appreciate any help I can get! Thanks...

Your problems are likely that the tips are the wrong size, and are not maintaining temperature. One sign of a cheap tool is that the tip goes cold immediately when it touches the work. That makes soldering and desoldering impossible.

I never use a vacuum desoldering tool. OK, maybe for clearing holes I'll use the little hand mechanical vacuum pump thingie. But for desoldering it's either the hot-air tool or solder wick.

You should also be generous with flux. That makes removal (and installation) of parts and wires a lot easier. Remember to scrub the board afterward with a good electronics cleaner then rinse.

-a

Got one of those blue and yellow Hakko ones when my weller pooped out.  I'm digging the Hakko, it feels nice to use.

Ocasionally I was using few weller "pro types" but at home i have cheapest Weller WHS40.
I'm using it very often - something about 6years - 3 months ago i bought new soldering tip, but the old was pretty good too:)

wow... first off, great answers... I'm still troubleshooting the sc1 pre but I finally ot a slightly better iron and it became instantly apparent the one I was using sucked. it's amazing that I was able to mod as many mics as I did with the shitty one I was using, granted the new one ain't special by any means. I've learned so much from this forum, for which Im very grateful. I can now see why a variable temp iron is worth it, that'll be one of my next investments since I'm hooked on electronics now (or maybe just the solder fumes haha).

Back