R.I.P. MRL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the link Pucho. A lot of great info on their site. Downloaded them all and will be reading at a suitable time. Pity about the company.

Jay had handed off the operations of MRL to a trusted friend a few years ago; I don't recall that man's name or other details. Jay passed away last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._McKnight
At that time, I wondered how long MRL would continue in operation. Definitely time to stock up.....

I also suggest collecting all of Jay's tech papers before the website goes away. I also have a number of his papers that he posted to the Ampex mailing list. All are pure gold.

Bri

I spoke with a studio manager last night and he happened to mention that he just bought 15 tapes. He also offered the suggestion to order them through JRF which provides faster delivery than MRL direct. Maybe this will encourage John to buy back the equipment he built for MRL. Mono 2" heads don't fall off trees.

There is a lot of interest in keeping the equipment going. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Seems that way from the Studer list. There is a lot of hand wringing going on which is a good sign. Doesn’t seem like anyone is throwing in the towel.

The MRL tape machines are modified A80 transports so they should be able to be brought back to life. Plenty of NOS parts available from Audiohouse.

I spoke with a studio manager last night and he happened to mention that he just bought 15 tapes. He also offered the suggestion to order them through JRF which provides faster delivery than MRL direct. Maybe this will encourage John to buy back the equipment he built for MRL. Mono 2" heads don't fall off trees.
Because we have so many analog machines here, I talk with John French "semi-often". Great guy, great friend since the 1980's ....but, we never actually met in person.

John and Cookie are intentionally slowing things down, so they are now only open Tue/Wed/Thu. John and I have a few chuckles every time we chat via Ma Bell .....our ages are not too far apart.

Just sayin'.......

Latest posts

Back