RACK-IT! 500/51X -> to 19" rack and easy-to-test solution.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is a noob question.  Picked up a couple of these from your online store want to use them on my bench for 500 series builds.  Will a 16x16x48 power trafo work okay for a power supply?

Thanks
Kim

kquick said:
.. a couple of these .. for 500 series builds.  Will a 16x16x48 power trafo work okay for a power supply?
A transformer with dual 16VAC and a 48VAC secondary winding for 500 series builds (not 51X) alone, NO. A transformer is transforming to AC voltage(s) at a specific ratio. Your 500 series builds want DC voltage(s). A Transformer is only one part of a PSU. If this transformer (comming with whatever current rating per secondary winding) 'will work okay', when followed by rectification, loading caps, regulation of at least the +48V part, ..., depends on your definition of 'a couple of'.

kquick said:
I know this is a noob question.  Picked up a couple of these from your online store want to use them on my bench for 500 series builds.  Will a 16x16x48 power trafo work okay for a power supply?

Thanks
Kim

For 51X, NO. For 500 series, YES.
It is possible to apply the voltage right after diode rectifier/about 2200uf caps to +/-24V; 16V regulators are on-board.
Or, you can apply the voltage from your regulated +/-16V, +48V power supply to Rackit! and not install 16V regulators.

Igor said:
kquick said:

Thanks
Kim

For 51X, NO. For 500 series, YES.
It is possible to apply the voltage right after diode rectifier/about 2200uf caps to +/-24V; 16V regulators are on-board.
Or, you can apply the voltage from your regulated +/-16V, +48V power supply to Rackit! and not install 16V regulators.

Igor
  Yes I was going to use that power trafo with an adjustable PSU set at +/- 16, +48 I am only building 500 series no 51X.  When I leave out the 16V regulaters on rackit  will I need to jumper any thing?    Thanks for your help.

Kim 

Harpo said:
kquick said:
.. a couple of these .. for 500 series builds.  Will a 16x16x48 power trafo work okay for a power supply?
A transformer with dual 16VAC and a 48VAC secondary winding for 500 series builds (not 51X) alone, NO. A transformer is transforming to AC voltage(s) at a specific ratio. Your 500 series builds want DC voltage(s). A Transformer is only one part of a PSU. If this transformer (comming with whatever current rating per secondary winding) 'will work okay', when followed by rectification, loading caps, regulation of at least the +48V part, ..., depends on your definition of 'a couple of'.

Harpo
  Sorry I should have been more specific in my original post.

Thanks
Kim

When I leave out the 16V regulaters on rackit  will I need to jumper any thing?
Anything. The pads marked +/-16, +48, agnd, case are already connected to 18-pin connector.

[silent:arts] said:
kquick said:
... I am only building 500 series no 51X.

Kim, you should rethink your plans :D

lol

Yes, IMO way better than running stuff requiring 24V on dc/dc converters.
However, there are many projects which require +/-16V only, so, let people make their choice.

Igor said:
[silent:arts] said:
kquick said:
... I am only building 500 series no 51X.

Kim, you should rethink your plans :D

lol

Yes, IMO way better than running stuff requiring 24V on dc/dc converters.
However, there are many projects which require +/-16V only, so, let people make their choice.

Okay I think I am starting to figure this out excuse me for being a pain. Went over to 51X site and looked around and if what I am thinking is correct if I use a +/- 24V, 48V PSU and leave the 16 Volt Regs in the rackit then I should be able to test 500/51X.  Have not built any 51X yet but I may. ::) Thanks for your patience.

Kim 

If I use a +/- 24V, 48V PSU and leave the 16 Volt Regs in the rackit then I should be able to test 500/51X.

IS correct
:)

Rackit! done initially to simplify my life when I freakin' with 51X-76, HE-69-500/51X, etc.
Say, I need to test/calibrate matched stereo pair of 51X-F76 (1176 in 51X format).
What I do is next.

I have a lab power supply, and adjust it for 2x24V, short circuit protection 200 mA.
Possible to use resettable fuse, 200-300 ma, 30-60V.
Second power supply used for 48V phantom if I need to test micpre (Albatross). Its current limit is set for 10mA.
In case of 51X-F76, 48V is out of picture.
Two Rackit! boards are connected together, their +/-24V and 48V tied to power supply's.
LINK connected together.
The regulators at Rackit! boards take down 24 to 16V.
This way, I save lab power supply for +/-16, time to connect, Russian curses if something f@@ed up,
and can put both modules at workbench as I like.

Simplest way to test 51X modules is: use one Rackit!, one +/-24 and +48 (if needed) PS, 3x resettable fuses, done.

Sorry for the noob question, but say I wanted to use 2 of these to make a simple 1u case for a couple of normal 500series preamps.

Can anyone point to a reasonable PSU option? Like the JLM stuff? Anyone around sell a suitable torroid for this?

I'm just still a little confused as to if these boards do some kind of regulating, or you need a regulated PSU for them.........

cheers
Eric

johnnyscotch said:
Sorry for the noob question, but say I wanted to use 2 of these to make a simple 1u case for a couple of normal 500series preamps.

Can anyone point to a reasonable PSU option? Like the JLM stuff? Anyone around sell a suitable torroid for this?

I'm just still a little confused as to if these boards do some kind of regulating, or you need a regulated PSU for them.........

cheers
Eric

One noob to another, :) the way I understand this is they have 16 volt regulators on them and you can hook a lab/bench power supply to them for testing. Or if you wanted to do what you are talking about with the 1U you would remove the 16 volt regulators and use a regulated power supply like the Igor's  2448 kit.  This is were Igor jumps in and tells us if this is correct. ???

Cheers
Kim

Hi, just a simple q's.
Do I need a regulated power supply? i.e +/-24DC, or do I need +/-24AC?
Looking to buy a bench PS.
From my understanding the 'Rackit' will rectify and regulate the AC supply to DC.
I plan on installing all the components to the kit, eg. regulators, caps etc...
stu

sonic02 said:
Do I need a regulated power supply? i.e +/-24DC, or do I need +/-24AC?
Yes.  ;D. (+/-24VAC doesn't make much sense as it will be different every next blink of an eye)
Looking to buy a bench PS.
... a bipolar or dual rail (maybe tracking) bench PSU or two single rail PSUs. You want at least +24VDC and -24VDC with 0V reference voltage in between. Connecting mics that rely on phantom voltage, an additional 48VDC supply may be needed.
From my understanding the 'Rackit' will rectify and regulate the AC supply to DC.
It won't. In case you don't have the +/-16V rail voltages from an external PSU (only needed for preamps/compressors/billboard-top-10-generators/whatever connecting to the API-500 standard 15-pin cardslot config), the Rackit -with regulators and voltage setting network resistors fitted- can regulate these maybe needed rail voltages down to +/-16VDC when fed from an external +/-24VDC PSU, connecting to the additional 51X supply rail pins (18-pin cardslot config).
The API-500 15-pin standard uses 5 cardslot pins for supply (+16V, 0V, -16V, +48V, chassis/shield).
The GDIY-51X 18-pin standard uses 2 additional cardslot pins (+24V, -24V).
The Rackit can generate the maybe missing +/-16V rails from the +/-24V rails, if so needed.

thanks Harpo, that has cleared it all up for me.  :D
Time to purchase the Bench PS (and maybe one additional for the +48V, the VP26 looks tasty)

sonic02 said:
.. the VP26 looks tasty)
sure does, and uses the API-500 format 15-pin cardslot. If you only want to power this card, there are enough fixed or variable +/-xVDC (value of x depending on DOA used) with +48VDC included PCBs or kits around this forum. A bench PSU with its only purpose to power this single preamp looks a little oversized. YMMV.

have a few kits ordered, pete's la3a, sb4001. def be in for Igor's pending TG (51x). So a variable ps will help out with different projects and will be versitle for future builds/tests. Will have a look for the +/16, +48v kits also (cheaper than bench PS) 

Latest posts

Back