RACK-IT! 500/51X -> to 19" rack and easy-to-test solution.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the purpose of this PCB for me is easy to test modules at workbench, however,
I already needed it to put Albatross pre and F76 compressor inside 1RU rack to customer.

The deal is to have 16v regulators on-board, for testing F76, for example, I use a pair of workbench power supply's
and it always gets messy with wires. Here, I have to connect +/-24V PSU only (and phantom for pre's of course).

This PCB can hold on back of rack on XLR's pins only, it is hard enough.
From the other point of view, somebody may have rack with already punched (drilled etc) holes for NC3MDL, for example. Hm.

It is always good to get feedback from you, I haven't thought about this.

So, daisy-chaining and holes....
And wires going to XLR connectors mounted on back of case.

OK....let's call it RACKIT-2!

Added to my store now. Rackit!-2 with standoffs will be here soon.
Adding Helios and SSL 4000 channel compressor as well...

Grabbed one of these today. Great idea Igor
I was just going to throw one of these together for calibrating my pair of EQNs and stumbled upon this thread!
So happy you did the work for me.

Thanks

ChuckD

Might you make it 1.5" wide or less, so it would be possible to construct an N-bay lunchbox?

What depth case do you need to make a 1U 2 Slot API rack with this? Do you let the faceplates sit on top of the 1U rack faceplate?

Yes, Rackit-2 will be "stack-able", I have to sleep on some options.
Measures - this works fine for me:

Attachments

• 51xrack_meas.gif
    51xrack_meas.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 225
Not to sound like a jerk...

but I have to say, this is a DIY forum...

Any number of adjustable power supplies will work, any number of small metal boxes will work.

No offence taken.

True, but you could say that with every component on a build as well. I actually prefer builds that look like its been done real slick, with less modifications.

Just wanted to know since most of the builds here are now getting more partnered up with certain providers here to make the building process easier or newbie friendly.

A short question.
What is most important for you, guys, to have on RACKIT!-2 board: 24->16V regulators or ability to stack (chain) the boards?

Apologies for the long answer to your short question!

16V regs vs Stacking and chaining.

There are two competing purposes here... And the power problem, is "nice" but not "got to have".

16V regs:
    I think that the idea of the 16 volt regulators is really nice
    I worry about any decent size rack and the cooling problem, and potential noise problem of all those regulators in a rack near
    the audio path.
    For TEST your idea is AWESOME... and I have already started to point to point one for my test jig, so I can get rid of 2 of the 6     
    wires.
    For small one or two module racks.. also awesome.  But you don't really need a regulator for each slots.

Stackable!
    I am always trying to figure out how to make a single module available to a friend or family member, or for a
    live performance, without dragging (or risking!) a load of racks and power supplies.  Tee ability to build a Lunch box...
    or snack tray... that doesn't cost an API fortune and that works with 24V is super!

I wanted to make a little 2 or 4 spacer, with a small 1 amp power wall wart or a 51x module as a power supply.

I think the folks working on custom mixing consoles could use the ability to add a few slots in certain circumstances.
    Racks are expensive, and the GDIY rack is cool, but 11 spaces is problematic (8 is a better number for Tascam connection and
    other stuff I think if you are trying to put something modular together). 

Further brainstorming, and getting well beyond "short" in my answer, the ability to build channel strip arrangement (2 or 3 ... 500 series modules vertically arranged) a row or two at a time rather than in chunks of 11, could be a lot cheaper using your system, and let someone contemplate a mixer that could literally grow a channel strip at a time.

Anyway, I am getting beyond my expertise, but I understand you have a space problem.

My suggestions (worth every cent you paid for it) is that you build the cards as stackable, with a snap off power supply add on.
Barring that, just drop the power supply.

My 0 cents.

bb

Latest posts

Back