Rack job of Melcor/M.A.P AM-27 modules...no questions just pics to share

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxt403

Greetings,

I stumbled upon some Modular Audio Products AM-27 modules on ebay in October of last year.  The ordeal took one week of my time (over the holidays in December), plus around $1000 CND for the three MAP AM-27 cards, three Melcor 1731 modules, a Five Fish Studios power supply and one of FF's pre amp kits (since there was a bulk discount with the power supply), one aluminum 1RU case (that was originally all black but I decided to sand the faceplate down so it would match another case's colour), and a lengthy Digi-key order.  I decided that panel mount connectors for the power and XLR would be a bitch to drill through metal and decided to just use grommets for holes big enough to fit the cable through and break-it-out. It took me three days to drill all the holes using a hand drill (I ended up burning out my Dremel while drilling the sixth hole on the front panel :'(). All the wires were soldered to the modules directly since the idea of using an edge connector didn't cross my mind (I was worried about all the drilling I had to do).  I haven't had any issues; aside from noise from issues with grounding (that was sorted through over the aforementioned holiday of assemblage). Here is the finished product:

Partially completed, the holes at the top of the front were misaligned so I decided to not install a pad switch/cct:
picture.php

At my old job I would just have to mark the holes and hand it to a machinist- but I did like to watch and pick-up on a few orders of procedure (like the use of cutting oil). Notice that I put one of the stock 5004's to good use as a neat-o decal.

top view:
picture.php

I'm a technician (not a machinist) so the internals are much nicer to look at than the exterior. I recapped all the AM-27s with Panasonic FC-series (and Kemet ceramics, since they change values for a discrete op-amp vs the original 5004 hybrid) and installed metal film resistors. The casing for two of the mic trafo's fell off so I had to secure them with electrical tape. Milton (aka: mkp27 over at ebay- the person responsible for the 500 series Eisen/MAP modules) sold me the Melcor 1731's (and also provided help and schematics for the AM-27 modules for the discrete op-amp version of the circuit) so that I could take out the hybrid MAP 5004 op-amp and install discrete ones. I don't think I overpaid for the opamps, since I also got the documentation. I bought three but one crapped out during initial power up. I had some Millennia Media MM-99's that I didn't end up needing for another pre-amp. Honestly, the MM-99 AM-27 is currently my personal favorite. The clean Five Fish Studios' SC-1mk2 kit bridges the extreme coloration of the 1731 AM-27s and coloured clarity of the MM99 AM-27 quite nicely.  I had the Cinemag trafo option installed on the SC-1 at first, and I have to say that it sounded eerily similar to the MM-99 AM-27. I decided to remove the transformer, since I needed more channels of clean sounding pre-amp in my set-up.

installed:
picture.php

My label-maker was spitting out stickers for a while.

rear view:
picture.php

The phase reverse for the AM-27 is from the center-tap of the output transformer plus I was using star-quad cable; hence the phase switch is at the back of the unit.

Overall, I'm happy with the end product.

;D

Great job!  I put 2520 clones in my AM27s and they sound really nice.  I have not re-capped them yet... will do that soon.

Some other things that I forgot to mention include:
I used transparent heat-shrink on the SC-1mk2 input (in the photo it looks like the cable shield is exposed).
The power cable is normally over the MM99 AM27 (in the photo I moved it near the output transformer so that I could show the MM-99).
All the pre amp modules are installed in the case with industrial velcro (in the photo it looks like the cards are loose in the case but the velcro is black).
Since the holes for the SC-1 I drilled were fudged quite a bit, I had to cover over the 48 V LED hole with white electrical tape to cover my foul-up.  When I labeled the on-off switch, I cut the sticker so the "OFF" text was just under the switch.  Now, by fluke, the 48 V LED lights "ON" when enabled, on the SC-1mk2.

The only other things I can think of are that the AM-27's metal film resistors all have a +/-1% tolerance and the value for the two ceramic capacitors changes from 68pf for the 5004 hybrid chip to 150pf for a discrete type of opamp (like the MAP 5002, Melcor 1731, etc).  I also changed the value for the electrolytic cap at the opamp output from 330uF to 470 uF (hence I was able to install a 990 type opamp). Oh yeah!  :D The power supply is giving +/- 16 volts to all the modules in the case. The limiting factor for me was the 1731's supposed +/-15 volt operation but I was able to get 2/3 of the op-amps running at +/- 16 volts. The MM-99 also runs fine at 16 volts, although I can get away with operating it at +/-24 VDC.  The SC-1 can handle a maximum of +/- 18VDC, if I'm not mistaken, but +/- 16VDC hasn't caused a hiccup.

Latest posts

Back