Really great vid on building simple compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to watch it until the end, so far it looks well made and easy to understand. Gyraf and Ian (Ruffrecords, i believe his is still online) are great at explaining it at more advanced level. PRR has done great job about tube version found here on the forum.

You2be surfing and caught this video by Moritz Klein, he went to the trouble of including animations and follows everything in the schematics...if you want a decent intro or a refresher on compressors and how/why they are implemented this is an amazing demonstration.

Watch it here
It s a great and cool demo! At first look the diode vca seems arranged as the summarized version of U273 in sound au article about vca....
I tried it in my first attempt for a diode bridge compressor... But no good results since I m still a beginner!
Thanks for this link... Still watching
Best

It is a simulation, but not mine. It is published on YouTube by the author of the video: https://tinyurl.com/2qj8o66t
I did not yet have time to dive into it, so I don't have any results myself. The video posted above is pretty detailed though. I just wonder how the comp might handle complex signals. The author seems to come from a Synthesizer background and what might sound great on a monophonic synth voice might not work on a vocal track ;-)

Michael

tried a quick sim on LT, not used to Falstad....
the circuit works, hoped to have a better behavior
anyone else tried it?

best

Attachments

• in vs out 10ms .png
    in vs out 10ms .png
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1-S-fast Att - slow Rel.png
    1-S-fast Att - slow Rel.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 1
I did not simulate this(or build it), but wouldn't you get more control V feedthru, since this diode comp is not implemented differentially?

i wanted to leave as it is to understand that design
maybe more CV is really needed, at extreme settings it goes a bit over 800mV

I did not simulate this(or build it), but wouldn't you get more control V feedthru, since this diode comp is not implemented differentially?

It looks like CV feeds both sides of the diode string, and one side is inverted. CV feed through would be a function of diode balance?

Latest posts

Back