recommend a transistor measuring device?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klem

Is there a reliable and robust unit that can test for most or all of the relevant properties of various transistor types for the purposes of using them in mic and line level devices? It would be nice if there was one machine with separate inputs for each type of transistor (FETs, JFETs, bipolars, others?). I'm of the 'pay once, cry once' camp FWIW, but also this is just a hobby for me, so I'm not searching for the Rolls Royce of testing units.
Thanks,

Well, there are the classic Tek 576 and 577 curve tracers which are heavy beasts, but which can fully characterize devices. At the other end of the range are the $15-50 AVR based testers that are cloned and for sale all over now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225042269272
In the middle are several options including the PEAK Atlas DCA55. Need a computer to plot collected data with these and voltage ranges are limited.

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/dca55-atlas-dca-semiconductor-analyser.html
If being able to test at the desired operating point/range is important you'll want to find a unit that is flexible enough to do that. Or roll your own test circuits.

Peak Atlas looks promising. I haven't looked up the ranges they test, but the parameters tested for in the DCA75 looks much better than the 55, albeit twice the cost. The only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger here is firmware requires being done in house, and I'm in US48. Not crazy about international shipping for each time this may be needed. Are there any similar manufacturers/offerings in US?
Thanks,

Peak Atlas looks promising. I haven't looked up the ranges they test, but the parameters tested for in the DCA75 looks much better than the 55, albeit twice the cost. The only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger here is firmware requires being done in house, and I'm in US48. Not crazy about international shipping for each time this may be needed. Are there any similar manufacturers/offerings in US?
Thanks,
I don't own a PEAK and don't know of other comparable testers. Haven't looked recently. I have one of the AVR based kinds that I linked and have used Tek 576 and 577 in the past.

I was wrong - the DCA75 is firmware upgradable by end-user. Seems it's the lower-end model DCA55 that you'd have to ship back. I ponied up for the 75 from a US distributor. Thanks again for the suggestion.

There is a Chinese guy on diyaudio.com who sells curve tracers. I bought one from him around 2-3 years ago but I didn't get it to work, not because there is something wrong with it, but because it requires "some assembly" and I haven't had time to do it. The Peak DCA Pro can also do curve tracing and it is relatively inexpensive. The only problem I've found with it is that it is not capable of injecting large currents or producing large voltages, so you can only test components at low currents and low voltages, I don't know if the latest versions have improved in this respect. Large currents are only needed if you are doing power amp stuff, but large voltages (higher than 12V) are required in the pro-audio world, since it is by no means unusual to find +/-24V discrete circuitry. However, do you need to plot IV curves for voltages higher than 12V? It might not be needed, but, again, it depends.

In general, the major problem with curve tracers are BJTs, because they require very low currents at the base, FET's in general are very easily characterized with any 2 channel programmable DC Power supply, in fact, a good 2 chan programmable DC power supply is, in my opinion, the best thing you can buy; it will allow you to test any component, and you will be able to plot IV transistor curves with it, but they require some sort of software platform: you can use MATLAB/Octave, or Labview, or whatever, but there is some programming involved and you might not like that. Also, many require a GPIB to USB interface, which is very expensive (although other brands have lower cost solutions), others require a simple RS232 serial port or Ethernet, which is cheaper. However, the main problem is that not many programmable DC power supplies allow you to limit currents to a few microamperes (the opposite problem of the Peak DCA Pro), which is the required current value for BJTs at the base. When testing power BJTs this shouldn't be such a big problem, since base currents can be in the order of hundreds of microamps to miliamps.

So, to sum up: if you are not dealing with high currents/voltages, go with something like the Peak DCA Pro, otherwise, go with a 2 chan programmable DC power supply, or Peak DCA + prog. DC PSU if you need both. You can find used HP programmable DC PSUs on eBay for like 100-200 USD.

Last edited:
I have the PEAK DCA75 and it's a very nice unit. The curve tracing ability when connected to a PC is quite nice and useful.
You will not regret having ordered it.

But anyway everyone should also get one of these units,
it's pretty cheap, it also tests transistors and all the other components, very very useful and unbeatable for the price:

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 03.03.17.png

Last edited:
I have the PEAK DCA75 and it's a very nice unit. The curve tracing ability when connected to a PC is quite nice and useful.

But anyway everyone should also get one of this units,
it's pretty cheap, it also tests transistors and all the other components, very very useful and unbeatable for the price:

View attachment 108141
See post #2

I have the Peak DCA 75 as well. It's a nice piece of kit.

As well as 2 of those less expensive testers you get on ebay. They're very useful too.

Here's a couple of additional testing units:

I hope these help!!!

/

All of those meters have the same software and functionality as the MK-328 I posted above, just the case and package is different

I prefer the “Parrot” type test leads/probes of the MK-328 (ala DCA75) than any of those connectors for the components, they’re more flexible and practical

I've used the Peak gear for years with mostly good results. Test Instruments | Peak Electronic Design Limited. I find their cap tester (ESR70), and transistor analyzer (DCA75) to be most useful. As mentioned by user 37518, above, their limited voltage and current ranges are their weak points. I have also used their DCA75 for matching lateral FETs--if you are careful to eliminate any oxidation on the leads and attach them as close to the body of the FET as possible ((leads are not Kelvin types. I don't recommend their LCR meters as there is no control over the test frequency, at least on my older model.

One note on the DCA75 you may already have gleaned. The low voltage/current it’s capable of putting out won’t give you a realistic curve trace on high power transistors like the 2N3055, but it’s great for all the typical small signal stuff. “Line level” covers a lot more ground power-wise than mic level. That said, i don’t think you’ll regret having pulled the trigger on it. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of mine.

Latest posts

Back