Reddish 500 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone!

I took some time to check things over last night, as well as to look into cost. It looks like I'll be able to do a set of boards (a single channel involves a main board and three auxiliary pcbs) for $20 USD, and that could even come down a bit depending on how many folks join in. To keep the cost down, I will only have the main board manufactured with the ENIG gold plated finish (essential for the 500-series backplane connector), but will have the aux boards done with HASL, which is less expensive and likely what you're already accustomed to seeing on your PCBs. Otherwise the cost nearly doubles, rather needlessly in my humble opinion.

I will need to get shipping estimates once I have a sense of where I will be sending boards. For reference, the cost to ship boards to Ian in the UK and Herbert in Austria came out to ~$45 USD in each case. Shipping within the States will obviously be less, and shipping elsewhere in the world might be the same or more. This was the least expensive option I could find, but since I know we have members here who have more experience shipping things internationally, I'd be open to any pearls of wisdom you might have!

So I guess this is it! I will start taking names of those who would like to purchase PCBs. For now, I'm going to limit this to a single run of boards. I do not know if this is something I will do more than once, so if you have the interest and the means, please heed that disclaimer. Send me a PM or leave a post below expressing your interest and how many sets of boards you'd like to have. I'll keep it open for two weeks (ending April 10th), at which point I'll finalize the list and we can move forward with next steps!
Put me on the list for two sets!

OK, be aware of forum rule #3. Topics involving the exchange of money should be kept only to the Black Market or White Market.

Sales of goods or services should be done in the black market, or white market.

JR

https://groupdiy.com/threads/groupdiy-rules-read-before-posting-in-any-of-the-forums.6650/
Thanks John. I've never done this before, so I'm in new territory.

I'll start a Black Market thread (I'm not a commercial operation and I'm offering these at cost, so I don't think a WM thread is right for me). I'll link it in the first post of this thread. Anyone who has reached out or posted here to express interest prior to this post, you are already on my list. Anyone looking to add themselves to the list after this post can do so in the Black Market thread!

Last edited:
Can I get a list of the UTM parts required so I can inquire about a quantity purchase from them for a potential group US purchase?

Thanks!
Sure!

Input Transformer - UTM2571
Inductors - UTM1543 & UTM1544

The output transformer is where we'll need to make a decision, particularly for US-based builders. I created the project to use the Cinemag CMOB-3S, and that's what I used in my build. It's high quality, inexpensive (when I built mine, they cost a bit less than the UTM), sounds great, and for those of us in the States, doesn't incur a ton of additional shipping costs nor customs/duty fees. On the other hand, Herbert contacted Igor at UTM and asked him to wind his UTM3523LP for 600:600 (the LP stands for "low profile" and is important, the regular 3523 is too large for the 500 series). The bobbin on the UTM is apparently larger than the Cinemag and Herbert had to file out the PCB a bit, so I have adjusted the cut-out for the bobbin on the board based on his estimates - UTM does not provide the dimension in question on their datasheet. It should be just fine to use either transformer now, although I want to make the disclaimer that if we go with UTM and my adjustments to the board were still not sufficient, we may need to do a little filing to the PCB (not the end of the world).

So with that, it's either 3 or 4 pieces from UTM, bearing in mind that if the output transformer comes from them, you'll need to email Igor about the custom winding.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Are there any other parts that will have to be obtained from outside the US?
I will start a thread for a parts group buy to see if there is enough interest to make it happen, and hopefully get some quantity pricing.
I am looking forward to trying this EQ!

The only other parts that would come from outside the US would be the front panel, L bracket, and small 90° angle bracket from Frank.
Either provide me with these mechanical dimensions or point me in a direction with a link that has them and I could easily create these 3 items myself, along with low-cost sheet metal shops to have them fabricated here in the U.S. There should be no reason to have to purchase something as simple as these items are from a foreign country 4- or 5,000-miles away!!!

/

Hey @JMan have you compared the Redd to a 69 eq both being inductor based one has to be sweeter than the other. Maybe @HerbertR could chime in? I would be tempeted to get some boards but, I already have some Type 69 500's from IJR, and I bought some of Ian's Redd brilliance filter boards already to insert into redd47 preamps when I get to those. Unit looks impressive nice work on sharing a project with the community.

One thing to keep in mind is that edge connector fingers are typically hard gold, not enig which is too soft for repeated plugging and unplugging.

Hard gold can add significant cost, it's perhaps debatable whether the cost is worth it for a diy project. But just thought I'd mention it.

One thing to keep in mind is that edge connector fingers are typically hard gold, not enig which is too soft for repeated plugging and unplugging.

Hard gold can add significant cost, it's perhaps debatable whether the cost is worth it for a diy project. But just thought I'd mention it.
I should have been clearer in what I said earlier. I'll have the main board done in ENIG *with* gold fingers. The manufacturer can't do gold plating over HASL (I'm sure there is a technical reason that is over my head), which is why I made that distinction. But yes, thank you for pointing out that clarification -- the main PCB that connects to the backplane of the 500 chassis will have gold plating.

Hi Everyone,

I've been posting in the Black Market thread as orders have been coming in so that I am being sure not to break any forum rules. However, there are a few things that I want to put here as well for anyone who isn't watching that thread.

I'll be reaching out to all of you who have requested boards within the next day or two to start collecting shipping information and working out payments.

2 quick notes that I'd like to add in case folks are beginning to think about ordering metalwork and magnetics:

While the board has been modified to accommodate both the Cinemag and UTM output transformers, the L bracket from Frank needs a small modification to one hole if using the UTM. This will be detailed in the build documents, but I'm also working on finding a solution that nullifies any need to worry about this at all, so please stay tuned. For the moment, be aware that if you are ordering the stock L bracket that is currently in Frank's shop, it will only properly fit the Cinemag (though Herbert did find a clever solution for his units, so UTM is not impossible with this).

USA builders, member @nielsk is organizing a group buy for some of the bigger pieces required for the build, and this is a good chance to get those parts at a price break. The more folks we can get to join in, the better the price break, so I encourage you to take advantage of this. See his thread here.

Back